Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Speaker Protection Using Optoisolator
Speaker Protection Using Optoisolator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2018, 06:30 PM   #91
jwilhelm is offline jwilhelm  Canada
diyAudio Member

We experiment with tube hybrid design amplifiers so DC can creep up on the output (tube heater failure) or instantly skyrocket. Our present DC detection design triggers below 8Hz at 1.6 - 1.8VDC and is very reliable, but it requires rail voltage from the amplifiers main power supply. I began looking at opto-isolator design detection to eliminate the need for rail voltages.
Old 17th June 2018, 01:31 AM   #92
synonymous is offline synonymous  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to synonymous
Once upon a time I was looking at a project that used a PIC controller to sense the line signal to activate power to an amp. I didn't get past entertaining ideas about it, however, It did look interesting in that PIC controllers have an analog input that one can measure voltages at. I thought about both using it as it was and also potentially using it to compare voltages. I figured that the end all to monitoring an output would be to compare it to an input. Say that the output is deviated from the input signal wave, then activate a protection circuit. This way, there would be nearly no delay at all in any protection. I don't have the programming know how or knowledge of how to create those windows of comparison, but I would imagine if you have the curiosity, you could have the end all solution.

S
Old 17th June 2018, 01:55 AM   #93
jwilhelm is offline jwilhelm  Canada
diyAudio Member

The issue I see with a protection scheme like that is you would be connecting your analog ground and digital grounds together. If this is in a two channel amplifier, you would inadvertently be tying both channels analog grounds together through the digital ground, setting you up for a ground loop issue. In our present protection schemes we use an Arduino based microcontroller but every connection to the actual amplifier is done through an optoisolator making it very simple to install in any amplifier without worry of extra noise due to grounding.

Programming for Arduino based controllers is much easier than PIC. It's all open source and there are loads of examples to control just about anything on the internet. PIC software seems to always be kept a secret with little free support.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DipTrace Schematic - DC Detection 4.3 .pdf (35.3 KB, 35 views)

Speaker Protection Using OptoisolatorHide this!Advertise here!