Build STK8050 equivalent

This from X90... lower resistance... more class A region... ran hotter

Z600 ran 2x 3.9K a lil more relaxed on bias... you could simply hook straight up to existing current stabiliser... I’d consider that reckless....

Attachments

• F6B4CDFF-8754-49E0-BD99-259129782D77.png
    F6B4CDFF-8754-49E0-BD99-259129782D77.png
    671.1 KB · Views: 617
I'm having cold sweats from the beginning but he really wants to see them live again. Would you recommand getting rid of the whole amplifier part, take the output of the preamp/tone control, put in a new amplifier kit using +/-48V rails and connect the output to the protection circuit. Or even get a kit with a built in protection relay and connect directly to the speakers and power meters ? It would seem that budget wise that might not even turn out to be more expensive.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would do what you are most comfortable with. If he doesn't want to do something the proper way, then bail on the project. Since you will be held responsible for what you do, recommended or not, you have every right to expect that you are allowed to do things in a reliable way. Otherwise ... you just can't win.

-Chris

Ok so here's the final decision, I will swap out the whole power amplifier of the su-v4 and put a mx50se kit in its place, it will work on the existing supply rails (I will increase slightly the 2 filter caps). Only question is, as the tone controls are in the negative feedback loop, can I make them work by connecting them up like shown in the pictures ?

SU-V4 .jpg 7036_LJ_MX50SE_3 tone .jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Simple? Depends on your experience. A piece of vero board would do. Use an NE5532 or similar.

A feedback type tone control circuit in the feedback network of a power amplifier can make it conditionally unstable. PITA to figure out, so if you can avoid this all together, do it. A tone control that is separate is a much cleaner way to create a tone control.

If you need a schematic, just search some preamplifiers and you should be able to find one.

-Chris

So I will have to build a new one, I can't use the existing one ?
My experience with building is extremely limited, I've been repairing and restoring a lot and Am currently working on my first complete project but for the most part it's based on existing designs.

It's not the copying that's worrying me, I got quite good at that :D , it's the whole bunch of new parts I will have to get plus the pcb to order or the extensive modification I will have to bring to the existing board. Also the amp seems to have an active tone control with IC 303 as the tone amp, does this change anything ?

Last edited: