AKSA and Holton vs commercial amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Due to the fact that I wanted to do a semi-diy, my interest grown into high quality ready modules. I found great opinions about AKSA Maya and NAKSA modules, and Holton HPA-NXL series. Besides two comparisons for Maya in the commercial thread, there is no comparison to the normal stock amplifiers.

I am just wondering, how they sound quality is compared to offerings by Krell, Hegel, McIntosh, Accuphase and so on integrated amps?

I am intending to buy some ready modules, but it has to be something noticeably better than my current Roksan Caspian M2. Sound quality wise, Something like Krell KAV300i, McIntosh 7000 or Hegel H360 is something what will satisfy me, despite their different character, I could live with each of them.

Or maybe there are other companies delivering such modules, worth considering as well? I am just reclutant to pay 2k for parts of unknown (sound) qualities, or based only on one person impressions.

Any kind of answer and comparison would be great :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
These are just generalities and my opinion of course. One thing about most conventional amplifiers is that they use lots of negative feedback and they tend to have dominant 3rd order harmonics distortion resulting from differential LTP input stage and they might have higher order harmonics beyond 4th order up to 9th sometimes. You can decide for yourself but amps like that can sound un-natural. Most of Aksa designs have a sound signature that sounds natural and engaging with minimal amounts of negative feedback. You might hear a difference in sound stage and imaging which sounds better on amps with lower amounts of negative feedback. But in the end, you have to listen to them with your own speakers. And speakers make a big difference.

Hi Kapelli i own MAYA and i am very happy with the sound quality. like XRK said the sound is non fatigue and ear friendly with superb presentation . i have not heard krell,Mcintosh etc. but i have compared it with hi end tube amplifier like thivan labs and dared . i can say maya is as close to the sound quality of tube amplifiers. i took the risk of buying MAYA with out audition and i am happy . i was convinced by the technical details of the amplifier. i used to follow all the posts of Hugh Dean . sure he is a Wise Man with all the Knowledge for a good Audio amplifier.

I found Hugh Dean's and Anthony Holton's amplifiers preferable (presentation and engagement) to any of the commercial amps I've owned or heard as well as all the other DIY amps I tried. However, the commercial amps were not in the same price range as you have indicated.

There are so many things in the audio chain that can effect the final sound such as loudspeakers etc and I found pre amps to be hardest to nail.

You really have to find a way to listen to any of these to make a judgement but what I did was to take a leap of faith (luckily it worked out and didn't end in tears).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.