SanKen Discontinuing MT200 Power transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Will compare them to the originals, should have some dead ones somewhere. If the die size is at least 5x5mm it should be decent value for money. Most of the ones i bought on eBay for laughs (Got refunded every time) had aprox 1.5X1.5mm those shorted out or went open at between 700mA and 1.5A.

Today I received the Inchange parts,

I only had Older Sanken MT-200 from the 90'S to compare. these are not the same part numbers.

The weight of the ISC is 13 grams instead of the 18.5 of a sanken.

The die Size is about 5x5mm versus 6x6mm for an original Sanken device, this is not too bad considering other devices like the Onsemi 2N3773 also have a 5x5 die.

The ISC lacks the TO3P heat spreader. The point of the extra TO3P heat spreader is to have a buffer against short therm overloads, by increasing the mass of the device. this is lacking in the Chinese device, giving the Sankens a definite edge in durability. also the metal is somewhat thinner, perhaps .25mm.
Funnily enough, the metal is the same thickness and dimensions as some of the fakes sold on eBay, perhaps this indicates a common part supplier. :confused: Furthermore the bonding wire seems to be rather thin.

I wouldn't touch them for amplifier use. Perhaps in regulated power supplies that are crowbar protected... these parts were 40% of the cost, but the cost of the output transistors is dwarfed by everything else in the system.

All in all, seem to be decent ish transistors, the Die size seems to be correct, or in the ballpark (I cannot speak to current generation Sanken devices, im assuming these are unchanged)

Attachments

• 2018-04-18 13.12.49.jpg
    2018-04-18 13.12.49.jpg
    788.5 KB · Views: 660
  • 2018-04-18 12.29.04.jpg
    2018-04-18 12.29.04.jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 592
That ISC die layout looks like the MJ15024 family. If it is similar (or maybe it is), the SOA may be somewhat reasonable. I doubt it has the pretty beta curves and fT of the original Sanken. So the outputs may not blow, but you could over stress the drivers if your design was counting on having hFE of 80 at 10 amps.... and somewhat higher distortion.

profusion a1295 & c3264

I'm glad I picked up a couple not to long ago and almost cleaned out Profusion.:D:D:D They measured quite tight Hfe spread. :)
No wonder I got the last 6 they had in stock, you had most of them! Profusion only had a1295-O & c3264-O. I believe these are selected as lower gain version than the 1295-Y & 3264-Y (according to Sanken data hFE Rank O(50to100), Y(70to140)). I am in the process of fixing a Malcolm Hill designed Chameleon power amp which has 1 pair blown of the Y variety (higher gain. I don't think -O variant is OK to parallel with -Y type. My existing good transistors have hFE of approx 140, high up in the Y gain spec.) it has 5 NPN and 5 PNP per channel in parallel for a rated 700W per channel into 4ohm.

Last edited:
I ordered 50 each A1295 and C3264 from Newark in February but didn't receive all the C3264's. I just got a notice that the rest of my order shipped - I had completely forgotten about it. Both types are in stock at Newark/element14 now. Their description gave hFE as 50 but I received all Y-grade. Looks like there are 438 C3264's in stock and 266 of A1295.

Phil

OK! I have bought many test samples of 2SA1837LB-TF3T and 2SC4793LB-TF3T from UTC via profusionplc. I will let you know if they perform similar in my amplifier models and if they are reliable. As soon as my new lab is finished - of course ... maybe in 1 -2 weeks ...

BR, Toni
Hi Toni, what about this test?
I have a lot of those from a donation.
I haven't the way to test myself.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
OMG: completely forgotten to test them.
I have some on stock for testing, but never have used them in a real amp because I have > 2k pcs of the Toshiba originals ...

I need to test them with the DCA75pro and afterwards in one of my developer amps...

BR, Toni

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.