Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Beautiful work Juntuin!

Which output devices did you use, and how is the tone, imaging and resolution seem to you?

Thank you for posting your fantastic build....

Hugh

+1

Wowsa... Nice!!!
:worship:

These are monoblocks right? So two cases like this is very impressive looking. How cool is everything running when case cover with grille is on?

IMG_20180723_131809.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Hi X, thanks.

Yes, two of these. Pictures shows only one, second one is getting soon some aluminium over it, otherwise working units. Temp seems to be quite different depending what part to measure excactly, but it is within 48celsius - 52celsius degrees. L-alu clamps that holds big IXYS devices down are just over 40c.

Oh, and removed grills that can be seen on front of the fans, it made extra noise.

Did quick test with only one speaker (bi-amp system), so can't say anything about imaging. Horns are usually driven by Alpha20.
Is it only me, but is Alpha B.B. really better with middle- and upper region also? Definitely very, very good sounding amp, atleast in my system.

Listened only very familiar tracks for me, like Wintersun - the forest that weeps (summer) and sons of winter and stars, infected mushroom's tracks and the usual dire straits etc.

I'll take these to my friends house later this week hopefully to run test with passive speakers and better acoustics, let's see what he got to say.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think the feedback topology for the B.B. is tweaked such that the damping factor is substantially higher than the Alpha 20. DF=350 below 1kHz IIRC - Hugh can confirm. Don’t know if that changes what you are hearing. The big IXYS FETs probably sound different too. The B.B. is certainly the best sounding amp in my stable of two dozen or so amps.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I'll take these to my friends house later this week hopefully to run test with passive speakers and better acoustics, let's see what he got to say.

Hi Juntuin!

I’m happy to see your BB update, you did a really awesome job! The BB is not an easy project to make look visually appealing.
Will you place them close to the speakers and run longer rca interconnects?

:cheers:

Hi guys, thank you for your comments :) it's definitely my hardest build when talking about case work..

Now tested with JBL 4341. Friend was impressed and interested about these. Actually even liked the looks and that surprised me :D

In a nutshell, compared to Alpha20, (expensive, commercial) class-D and class-AB amps:

- "It sounds like we've added a very good subwoofer."
- Bass went very deep, was articulate and had really good control
- Deep 3d image
- Otherwise it was quite similar that Alpha20: good solid mids and nice highs without any harshness, nothing surprising in this area compared to Alpha20. Interesting how mids and highs sounded better and better even after 2 hours with power on..

So. B.B vs Alpha20: little deeper 3d image and much better controlled and a little deeper bass. B.B. can also play very loud and sound won't fall apart. My ears are still ringing..

Best amplifier that I've built so far IMO.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
20 watt. It would be my first build
But I’m thinking it may be to much to take one as a first build
Maybe I could find someone here that would take on that projector me
I also have a old 1959 one watt two channel tube amp that I need someone to refurbish for me. I’ve posted this on other forums but no answers yet
IMG_2006.JPG

Hi guys, thank you for your comments :) it's definitely my hardest build when talking about case work..

Now tested with JBL 4341. Friend was impressed and interested about these. Actually even liked the looks and that surprised me :D

In a nutshell, compared to Alpha20, (expensive, commercial) class-D and class-AB amps:

- Deep 3d image
- Otherwise it was quite similar that Alpha20: good solid mids and nice highs without any harshness, nothing surprising in this area compared to Alpha20. Interesting how mids and highs sounded better and better even after 2 hours with power on..

So. B.B vs Alpha20: little deeper 3d image and much better controlled and a little deeper bass. B.B. can also play very loud and sound won't fall apart. My ears are still ringing..

...and now at home, 2 Alpha B.B. monoblocks driving bass and Alpha20 stereo driving mid- and hf-horns. Very impressive full Alpha-system!

...and now at home, 2 Alpha B.B. monoblocks driving bass and Alpha20 stereo driving mid- and hf-horns. Very impressive full Alpha-system!

You are living the dream Juntuin!!! All ALPHA! Very cool. I may have to build an ALPHA BB after all. And great craftsmanship on your system! I just bought some of those KEMET 15,000uf caps for a restoration of my friends Sansui AU-717. What do you think of them in your ALPHA setup?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

- Deep 3d image

Thanks for your assessment of the Alpha BB! Impressive 3D image, deep bass, big bass authority, and ability to play loud are also my big takeaways.

When you have a chance, a photo of your all Alpha system would be very cool to see.

Super work.

You are living the dream Juntuin!!! All ALPHA! Very cool. I may have to build an ALPHA BB after all. And great craftsmanship on your system! I just bought some of those KEMET 15,000uf caps for a restoration of my friends Sansui AU-717. What do you think of them in your ALPHA setup?

Thank you! I can't compare Kemet's to anything else in this build, but they do feel very nice, solid pieces and amps do sound good. Going to use them in future also.
And definitely build a pair!!!

Thanks for your assessment of the Alpha BB! Impressive 3D image, deep bass, big bass authority, and ability to play loud are also my big takeaways.

When you have a chance, a photo of your all Alpha system would be very cool to see.

Super work.

Let's see if I can arrange that, would be nice memory for myself also but it needs some furniture moving :D

E: this leads one problem..what to build next? Ok, I have M2x already going on, but I mean..what after that?

Last edited: