ASTX SA2014 Build Thread. 2 x 400W@4R with CNC machined case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After searching DIYA for suitable candidates, I have settled on designs by ASTX (Toni) for my upcoming HT and Living Room systems. I settled on Toni's designs for a number of reasons, mainly due to the fact that he has incorporated extensive protection and control features making them ideal for a family environment.

The living room system will be an active 3 (or 4) way, and the HT will eventually be 11.2 Atmos so we are talking quite a few channels...

To kick things off, I'm starting with a 2ch amp based off Toni's SA2014. This is a highly optimised amp with very low distortion combined with stability and reliability. Perfect. You can find more info here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...ormance-class-ab-power-amp-200w8r-400w4r.html

Most of the BOM components are on the way. PCB's and some hard to get components from Toni :cheers:

I have access to a rather well equipped CNC machine shop and the necessary CAD/CAM software. Most of the chassis components will be machined from solid aluminium. Here is what I've come up with so far:

Attachments

• SA2014 ASSY.jpg
    SA2014 ASSY.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 1,070
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Awesome design! Self made case from solid aluminium block! Wow!

I like your idea making the IPS accessible from outside and placed far away from toroid and AC!
I will jump in with help whenever it is needed.
Many thanks for the decision building the flagship SA2014.

Have fun,

Toni

Whooey! How unique this is!

And yes, I'm fully with you about Tony's elaborate designs in the amplifiers as well as in their protection and housekeeping environments.

Good luck to you and keep us up to date, please! Follow-up pictures are welcome to anybody here, I dare to claim :).

Best regards!

My stockpile of components for SA2014 is growing..

I also took delivery of 4 x Audio Technology 15H52 midrange drivers, signed for me by Per Skaaning :cool: These drivers deserve a good amp, and vice versa of course ;)

Attachments

• SA2014 parts.jpg
    SA2014 parts.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 817
  • 15H52.jpg
    15H52.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 802
Those boards look awesome Toni. Cant wait to get my hands on them :)

I haven't finalised the design yet, but it will be an active in wall 3 way for the living room. The front baffle will be CNC machined aluminium (of course :D ) so I might take advantage of that to do some kind of waveguide loaded tweeter.
Maybe a W-T-M-W using the Scan-Speak 28W for woofers:
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/28w-4878t00.pdf

At this stage the plan is to use the "Ultimate Preamp" to tie it all together:
Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project

Please note that the house isn't built yet so there is plenty of time to come up with a plan :) House will be somewhere around those piles of dirt...

Attachments

• NS Block1.jpg
    NS Block1.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 721
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Plenty of room for all SA20xx variants :cool:.

I see you like the same speaker manufacturers as I do.
My main speakers (front/rear L/R ) are diy "M50 TL TA" (transmissionline; partially active; Scanspeak 26W8867T, ATC 75 SM 150 -16, Scanspeak D3004/6640 Beryllium) from this speaker developer site:

A.O.S. Audio Systeme

Top speakers and PC monitors are models "ILLU18-8 BE" (passve; Scanspeak 8WU8741T, D3004/6640 Beryllium)
with scanspeak drivers.

Subwoofers are Audio Technology Flexunits "10 A 77 25 10"

BR, Toni

PCB's arrived!

PCB's and some other parts arrived from Toni a couple of days ago. Thanks Toni!

Going well so far, but I need to order a few more parts that I either forgot or were not in stock.

Soon I will start matching the transistors with Atlas DCA Pro. Any advice regarding acceptable tolerances would be appreciated. :)

Attachments

• SA2014_PS.jpg
    SA2014_PS.jpg
    818.3 KB · Views: 290
  • SA2014_3.jpg
    SA2014_3.jpg
    839.2 KB · Views: 294
  • SA2014_2.jpg
    SA2014_2.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 299
  • SA2014_1.jpg
    SA2014_1.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 311
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Very clean soldering!
One hint: first solder flat parts and last solder the highest parts.

Matching: I have matched them out of the whole batch for lowest Vbe and hFe difference. During matching with your DCA 75 pro all transistors should have the same temperature. e.g. Use a thick aluminium brick and let the transistor cool down after you have touched them. After measurement write down the number on the back side of the transistor so you can find the part after sorting your spread sheet.

Have fun, Toni

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Of course it would be very hard to write down a number on the small signal transistors...
I have used this little boxes to sort them by number.
You simply "scan" your sorted excel sheet for pairs and select them by number from the box.

Attachments

• box_for_matched_transistors.jpg
    box_for_matched_transistors.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 412
Been very busy lately but finally got a chance to spend some time on the SA2014 project.

If anyone notices a mistake, feel free to speak up :)

Attachments

• SA2014 IPS.jpg
    SA2014 IPS.jpg
    720.8 KB · Views: 197
  • SA2014 OPS2.jpg
    SA2014 OPS2.jpg
    781.1 KB · Views: 210
  • SA2014 OPS.jpg
    SA2014 OPS.jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 257
  • SA2014 HC BACK.jpg
    SA2014 HC BACK.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 234
  • SA2014 HC TOP.jpg
    SA2014 HC TOP.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 253
  • SA2014 ASSY.jpg
    SA2014 ASSY.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 285
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.