No-global-loop amplification

I actually had more issues in initial experimenting with the supplies floating. Things settled down a lot once everything was bonded to ground. In my case the supply I'm using has a loop breaker built into it, I would assume it was actually designed to operate with the SMPS.

It must be possible to use these supplies, and safely with earth ground connected, it's being done in commercial products every day. It's just a new learning curve to figure out how it's done which is to me the most enjoyable part of the hobby.

Hi Hugh,

I've always been using good old linear supplies in the past, mostly using dual mono configuration, only this time I really wanted to use smaller lighter supplies and I had those two SMPS. I used a single 1200W Cresnet SMPS in two other amps with almost total silence but the supply was further away and it was not a dual mono config.

I'll be going back to the linear supply for this amp. Too bad though, I really wanted it to work. As Jeff stated, many commercial products are using them nowadays, but I guess mostly Class D amp designs?

Thanks
Do

Car amps have always used SMPS and the early / better versions were all class AB. They also had very tight chassis designs. I'm going to look into those designs and see what they did.

I had used a salvaged car amplifier smps to power the NS with +/-35v in the past.
It was silent and solved the 50hz artifact in ARTA when a 12v battery is used.
It was an ancient car amplifier based on STK hybrids.

Hi Hugh,

I've always been using good old linear supplies in the past, mostly using dual mono configuration, only this time I really wanted to use smaller lighter supplies and I had those two SMPS. I used a single 1200W Cresnet SMPS in two other amps with almost total silence but the supply was further away and it was not a dual mono config.

I'll be going back to the linear supply for this amp. Too bad though, I really wanted it to work. As Jeff stated, many commercial products are using them nowadays, but I guess mostly Class D amp designs?

Thanks
Do

Do yourself (and the amp!) a favor and use a good quality linear supply.
With good linear supply I mean a good quality transformer to begin with (not the too small but efficient toroids, but the low T audio grade ones with screens, be it toroidal or c-core).
Way better than most of the SMPS rubbish that seems to dominate high end audio nowadays...

Last edited:
I buy all my transformers from Toroidy, excellent build and super quiet operation at all time, well except if there is excessive dc on the ac line, but this is usually not the case in my region.

I'll wait for Jeff and Cresnet, they hopefully find a solution.

Do

Last try, did you try to connect the SMPS via an isolation transformer?

Any 110V to 110V will work. any transformer used for audio.

Hi Do, please buy one as it absolutely necessary for your safety!
Testing electronics equipments requires an isolation transformer.
Main is always danger!

I usually use a variac but I don't think it has any sort of isolation, just a direct winding I think...

I'll buy one but in the past 12+ years I never required one. I do understand the safety issue though.

Thanks
Do