Think my amplifier is busted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm pretty sure my amp has gone kaputski but I wanted to make sure before I get a new one and was hoping someone on the forum might be able to help. I'll give you a quick rundown of what happened.

After a power outage I went to my computer to internet browse for a bit and when I turned on my music my right speaker was crackling and popping kind of like when you jiggle a wire around while its loose. Anyways as I was trying to figure out the problem I cleaned out the inside to make sure it wasn't overheating and put it back together after about 10 mins of looking at wires and things I hear a pop that sounded like it was max volume and it shut off. After that the speakers only work intermittently but only don't work if I turn them off and turn them on they will continue to work if I don't mess with them but the crackling in the right speaker has gotten much worse.

things that I know
1. it isn't the source I ran the radio since it was a reciever and still had the crackling and popping
2.it isn't the connections the receiver has the ability to bi amp and I plugged the wires into the alternate connectors for the secondary amp still crackling.
3.it isn't the speaker since I switched the right and left speaker wires on the amp to check and it would only crackle and pop on the speaker plugged into the right speaker binding posts.
4. this amp is an onkyo sr606 and is 11 years old so it might just have given up the ghost.

Anyway any and all help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
You missed the one bit that will allow us to help you :)

What if any tools and experience with electronics do you have ?

If you don't have a multimeter, soldering iron, and the most basic knowledge of electronics, then we can't help you.

To answer your question no no and super no. I just was going to see if it was an easy fix if not then I'll probably get a new one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.