Advise needed. What is this

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi All. I have an old rotel amplifier at home. I pulled it apart the other day to look inside. When I did I noticed this dark brown, nearly black stuff at the base of some of the capacitors.

What is this?

Is it glue or is it something that has oozed out of the capacitors?

Any advice you can give me will be very much appreciated.

8f9bcaaedd6971df700b7bd529c46632.jpg
7bcf769ef7c15eadf159ddf47af73239.jpg
62c8157829145aeb93cb68419ff36d2f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I think that after soldering, a quick check for rocking components and possible shipping vibration issues, they pour this material to seal loose joints and create a solid foundation .
Eliminates warranty issues that could quickly multiply maybe

It doesnt look like its coming from the solder terminals overall.

1991 is more than 15 years. I'd replace them just based on the date, not to mention the low value. If I go to the trouble of taking something apart, I replace e-caps over 10 years old. Even if they havnn't contaminated everything with chemical slime yet. These aren't either of the two varieties of epoxy sealed cap I know about.
I use the e-caps rated >3000 hours service life from panasonic, nichicon, rubicon, or if I have to Nippon Chemicon, CDE, or multicomp. The first three, I've never had the country of origin be the land of fake baby formula, fake school building concrete, fake chicken, fake branded seasoning.
I've had to replace e-caps 4 times in a 1961 build amp, and that would be stupid now we have the internet and I can buy something better than TV parts store **** stock.

The pins looks corroded that is for sure, but the black gel looks like glue, it won't definitely crept up on the caps body unless the amp is placed upside down...:joker:
Those are big caps for the psu I think, so it is glue for sure to hold them tight in place to control vibration.

[refer to stuartmp photos]

Last edited:
.... i don't recall any Rotels i've owned having them glued down ,normally this type of glue is white or clear....

I own a Rotel RA971-MKII which I seldom use.
The caps (BGs mostly !), seem to be sitting on exactly the same stuff as in the first pic of post#1.
Have not desoldered anything to look what's going on underneath. No bulging or signs of the brown stuff up the sides though

Yeah. Disappointing.

I cannot understand why manufacturers do this. All the trouble to design and manufacture a product and yet can't get some basics right.

It all comes down to maximizing profit margins in the end , the Hi-Fi industry like any other is full of potentially great products let down by the need to save on production costs,from low grade caps with short lifespans to unsupervised production at 3 rd rate factories in a far off land.
Long gone are the days that you could buy an amp and expect 20 years trouble free service.
Same with cd players ,glass lenses replaced by plastic that fail rapidly , i could go on :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.