Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Rebuilding power amp. Questions about resistor types.  Fail safe and others
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2017, 02:06 AM   #1
Richard_James is offline Richard_James
diyAudio Member

Default Rebuilding power amp. Questions about resistor types. Fail safe and others

I am rebuilding power amp section if nakamichi ta-4a.
Shorted bias voltage terminals by accident. But power amp section had other issues.

There are 4 types of resistors used in this nakamichi
Rk -carbon resistor
Rm- metal film resistor
Rf-fail safe type resistor..
Rc - not sure.. does not say in the manual. I guess carbon composite.

I am thinking of replacing all resistors with vishay bc metal film .

Except those fail safe resistors.. which resistors on digikey are good replacements.
I am ordering resistors 250 through 288.

Also what type could RC resistor be?

And some resistors say 1/4W J. And some 1/4W F, or 5w K.

What do those j,f and k letters mean? Tolerance? 1% vs 5% vs 20%
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-03-12-21-54-33.jpg (583.0 KB, 197 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2017-03-12-21-55-14.png (869.3 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-03-12-21-53-17.jpg (446.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-03-12-21-53-28.jpg (453.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-03-12-21-53-37.jpg (439.6 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-03-12-21-53-43.jpg (454.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 13th March 2017, 02:25 AM   #2
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Since the RCs are low value high power I suspect they are cement wirewound. Yes I expect theJ, For etc are tolerance codes, you should be able to figure it out based on markings on the physical resistors.
Old 13th March 2017, 02:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks.. they look cement type.

What about my idea of replacing all carbons with metal film. I've heard carbon resistors are noisy and undesirables in general..

Also there are soo many types of resistor type choices. Millitary, flame proof, cmf,
Most of the ones I am ordering are vishay dale military 10509. Flame retardant coating, moisture resistant, safety..

Last feature "safety " makes me think its also a "fail safe"
Basically need to resolve this fail safe resistor type. What equivalents I need to use . I read somewhere these resistors are kind of resistor/fuse. Blow when current is high
Old 13th March 2017, 09:29 AM   #4
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

At the top of page 14 of the service manual, there is clear explanation to the component types used.
Any Safety or 'fail safe' components MUST be identical if replaced.
Old 13th March 2017, 10:43 AM   #5
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_James View Post
What about my idea of replacing all carbons with metal film. I've heard carbon resistors are noisy and undesirables in general..

Also there are soo many types of resistor type choices. Millitary, flame proof, cmf,
Most of the ones I am ordering are vishay dale military 10509. Flame retardant coating, moisture resistant, safety..

Last feature "safety " makes me think its also a "fail safe"
Basically need to resolve this fail safe resistor type. What equivalents I need to use . I read somewhere these resistors are kind of resistor/fuse. Blow when current is high
Fusible resistors are common in Asian electronics, often as power supply series or transistor emitter resistors and are designed to safely and flamelessly go open circuit when their power dissipation rating is exceeded.
IME they always have a matt/satin surface texture, in ratings of 1/2W, 1W, 2W etc.
Best to leave the fusibles in place whilst you experiment.
Carbon resistors do cause more noise than other types, MF being the quietest.
Resistor noise has dynamic and spectral characteristics, and this excess noise adds flavour or signature to a circuit, and further according to circuit location.
Yo can try changing out resistors, but be aware that you will likely change the 'sound' of your amp.
Yours is a hot running amp....the first thing to do is to properly resolder the output stages to ensure all perfect solder joints.
You could then try changing resistors in the preamp to audition resistors....R152L/R (Preamp Out) is one location to experiment with.

Dan.
Old 13th March 2017, 12:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I attached pics of that manual page that explain resistor abreviations. It desiphers all except RC.

I am not doing this just for fun)
One channel is blown because I shorted bias terminals by accident.
And initially the amp had fluctuations in bias voltage. One channel was running much hotter than the other
Old 13th March 2017, 01:14 PM   #7
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Yours is a hot running amp....the first thing to do is to properly resolder the output stages to ensure all perfect solder joints.
Dan.
Old 13th March 2017, 02:01 PM   #8
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

if bias was changing/drifting i would more concerned with capacitors rather then resistors.
Old 13th March 2017, 06:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes I agree. Probably the cap.. but at the moment) amp stays in protection after i shorted bias. So I decided to just rebuild everything. Not expensive. Replace all resestors,output transistor, capacitors . One small resistor shows sign of overheating. Tiny piece chipped off of it. Unless someone can pin point to one section of the amp that's affected. And I like this piece. Would not want to change sound. Forward vocals, strings, trumpets . Not harsh forwardness though
Old 13th March 2017, 07:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

It's definitely power amp section that is problematic. Preamp works fine

Rebuilding power amp. Questions about resistor types.  Fail safe and othersHide this!Advertise here!