Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

old Pioneer will only play music in direct mode
old Pioneer will only play music in direct mode
old Pioneer will only play music in direct mode Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2017, 01:40 PM   #1
gentlejax2 is offline gentlejax2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default old Pioneer will only play music in direct mode

I have a Pioneer VSX-9900s which is the last unit before the first Elite but basically the same as the first Elite. It plays fine out of both channels but only in "direct" mode. if i click dolby or and other sound feature I get immediate screatching and static. but then when I go back to "direct" it goes to normal stereo.

anyone have any knowledge of this? there is a VSX-D1 on ebay that is doing the same thing. I am guessing this is common with these
Old 7th March 2017, 05:50 PM   #2
ief is offline ief  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't suprise me if it is a power supply issue of some sort. No garanties though.
Old 7th March 2017, 06:21 PM   #3
gentlejax2 is offline gentlejax2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ief View Post
Wouldn't suprise me if it is a power supply issue of some sort. No garanties though.
how would it run fine if the tone controls are bypassed ? if the power supply were shot? I dont know...just seems odd

it plays fine until I hit dolby or any of the sound enhancements.
Old 7th March 2017, 06:35 PM   #4
ief is offline ief  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

For that you have to dive into the schematics, quite daunting

The digital section is the least forgiving of bad/ dirty power supply. So, that's why I suggest that as a good option. In direkt mode all that is bypassed, hence sound.

Depending on make and model offcourse, I have an onkyo and that just muted the audio all together, lifted that and at least able to use direct again.
Old 8th March 2017, 11:21 AM   #5
sgrossklass is offline sgrossklass  Germany
diyAudio Member

There also are a lot of ribbon cables running around in this unit, if those are the plug-in type (rather than soldered) some reseating action may work wonders.

But yeah, do check supplies for the digital section, starting with digital +5V. Supply might be low (JRC regs are known to go bad once in a while), or the reg might be oscillating because the electrolytic on the output is dried out.

This unit is quite complex and advanced for the day - having a DSP in there was not at all common back in 1991, most manufacturers only started doing this in the mid-'90s.

old Pioneer will only play music in direct modeHide this!Advertise here!