Desing help for a Newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

I am somewhat new to the hobby and am wanting to build my first power amp in the 20 W/ch range. No newcomer to a soldering iron, I have been on the hunt for a good sounding design for a while now.

I have a preamp (Foreplay) and a decent pair of speakers (Transmission Line towers @ 90dB into 8 Ohms). Also, from parting out an old receiver, I have a power transformer that will give me +/- 23V DC (no load) @ 4 amps and plenty of heat sinks (from two HUGE car amplifiers).

Since my preamp puts out about 4V rms, I figure the amp should have a gain of about 5 to get me where I want to be. I'm pretty sure I have enough heatsinking to run the whole thing in Class A. I would like to go the SE route, but not sure if I have enough power in the trans to get any decent power. Don't get me wrong, if 8-12W will do fine on 90 dB speakers, I'm all ears. If not, a push-pull design biased to class A would be A-
OK. I have drawn up some designs of my own, but since this is my first project, I would rather have the reccomendation of a proven design rather than end up with an expensive (heavy) piece of junk.

Can anyone suggest a good souding design to meet these requirements?

Thank you,

SteveS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.