What is the consensus of best amplifier topology TODAY??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...............the intrinsic feedback within Triodes is sufficient. I get all second harmonic -40db @ 1 watt, which is something around .01%.
0.01% THD is -80dB ref the signal. -40dB ref the signal is 1% THD.
(edit
I see that post25 has already addressed this error).
The majority of listing I do is much less than 1 watt due to my very efficient horn speakers. This allows me to get away with using low power Class A amps.

I know people will argue this is too much distortion to be considered high fidelity
-40dB = 1% THD is monstrous and typical of no global feedback valve amplifiers set up subjectively for "nice sound".
but I believe sound quality doesn't just boil down to low distortion. I will happily trade the low distortion for increased stability which allows me to listen for longer periods without fatigue.
If you like your set up, then don't change it.

Last edited:
0.01% THD is -80dB ref the signal. -40dB ref the signal is 1% THD.
(edit
I see that post25 has already addressed this error).-40dB = 1% THD is monstrous and typical of no global feedback valve amplifiers set up subjectively for "nice sound".If you like your set up, then don't change it.

Hi Andrew, Yes sorry for my error:( Not enough coffee that day and too much snow here:eek: In post #29 I did admit my mathematical error. I agree 1% is monstrous for today's standards but for some reason nobody here cares. I swap amps out all the time and nobody seems to say a word unless there is something drastically wrong with an amp. I am in the camp that speakers are far more important than amps with crazy specs. I enjoy making things especially valve amps so I mainly make them and use them. I have very low distortion SS and tube Class AB amps but I hardly use them.

I am happy with my "nice sound" but that doesn't mean I won't change things, I like to build and listen to everything, but I do prefer valves in general. In the future I do plan to build an F4 or something from the Pass family of amps.

Originally Posted by blippio View Post
I'm looking to drive Boenicke w5 clones @4ohms... the designer says they love power but the specs on the nc500 into 4r scare me at 700watts (I believe)... I don't listen to music at crazy volume anymore but I'm guessing 100 would be plenty. Or 220/221, whatever it takes

I concur pretty closely with Xaborus, you'll probably need no more than 20W if you're not into head-banging parties. So you might find just a lowish powered classD amp suits you very well - I'm really partial to the TDA8932 which satisfies me in an optimized implementation around 15W. Driving into 4ohm though definitely needs an output transformer with that chip as I like running bridged.

So let's assume most listening is at slightly above "background level" or even a bit higher than that. Does it make sense to have the "headroom" of a higher wattage amp to improve the dynamics/bass at these low to mid listening levels? (I'm making an assumption here)...

Put another way, do some amps (or which) play well at lower listening levels?

you can make them with vodka and call them caipiroska! Similar flavour, same result!! The recipe is to make them very strong, very sweet and with lots of lime!! Take it from someone who made thousands of them!! :D:D

uh-oh, I'll have to disagree very strongly here. No vodka has the organic aroma of sugar cane like a good cachaça has.

They aren't interchangeable at all.

..even if the emphasis is of "TODAY" i do not think the question is answerable. Generational gap comes into the picture. I was born in the silicon age, obviously i will root for an ss amp topology.
Another thing was, this is a DIY forum, we are obviously subdivided into groups, the copy build group, the copy mod group, the designer analyst group, the writer/academic group and whatever group that you can think of. I do however think that there exists a "DEFINITIVE" amplifier topology. By definitive I mean popular by example.

:)

So let's assume most listening is at slightly above "background level" or even a bit higher than that. Does it make sense to have the "headroom" of a higher wattage amp to improve the dynamics/bass at these low to mid listening levels? (I'm making an assumption here)...

Put another way, do some amps (or which) play well at lower listening levels?

In my opinion, more power does not do anything for you. I'll attack this from a few different points.

Most people will sit 8-10 feet from their speakers setup in a stereo triangle (measure your current setup, I bet I'm close ;D ). Worse case scenario for "average" commercial speaker sensitivity is 84dB/1M/2.83V that I've seen for the average well reviewed speakers that most people will end up buying. 2.83V is actually 2W at 4 Ohms, which most commercial speakers will be, but this easily translates into 84dB/1M/1W because we have 2x the acoustic radiators vs a single speaker.

83-85dB at the listening position is what most people consider "loud enough/ Perfect" and will set their listening volume at, without actually knowing what they are doing. Most music is also mastered at this volume level, as it's what most people prefer and it's a safe listening level for pretty extended periods of time.

With the "average worst case" 84dB efficient stereo speakers above, we need 4 watts to get to 85.5dB at a listening position of 3 meters (approx 10 feet). Each doubling of power ( 8 watts, 16 watts, 32 watts, ect) will gain you 3dB in output in theory, but you will run into "power compression" at larger wattages, where the voice coil heats up and loses some efficiency of turning power into sound.

Now the worst case ambient noise floor in the average living room in a first world country is 55dB. Most likely your noise floor is lower, from 40dB-50dB or lower if you're lucky.

Now given that we need 4 watts to achieve 85.5dB at the 3 meter listening position, we subtract the noise floor of 55dB and find we have a dynamic range of 30.5dB. That's far in excess of the dynamic range present in 99% of music. Only classical music will have that dynamic range, and will most likely not exceed 30dB of dynamic range.

I hope this answers your question! Somebody let me know if any of my math is wrong :p

If we get into the absolute details of what type of amplifier is best for "low" listening levels, I'd debate Class-A. Just because Class A's THD increases with power, while most amplifiers of other topologies decrease THD with power, up to a point ofcourse. A well designed Class A amplifier will also have a simple harmonic family that makes up it's THD, which most argue that is more "pleasant" but I argue is actually perceptually masked by the brain as hearing-mechanism-distortions (our ears create quite a lot of distortion on their own, but the brain filters this out). Long story short, a single-ended Class A triode or some silicon, such as Nelson Pass' SIT-2, creates the type of THD that I believe is most similar to what is created by the ear, and thus filtered out by the brain easily.

Last edited:
Ok, so what's the best amp??

You originally clarified that 'best' meant 'best sounding' which is a subjective appraisal. So given tastes in sound vary you're not likely to get much of a consensus.

Yet I believe there are more and less transparent amplifiers and that the 'best' sounding amp is the most transparent one when the source is music (emphatically not a sinewave). This is just a belief (hypothesis really) I don't know how to test this hypothesis yet

Yes!! I don't know what I was thinking but you are correct, -40db is 1%.

Hahaha .01% at 1 watt for no feedback amp would be impressive! Sorry for the confusion, carry on.

Hi Famous,

Actually I started a (nearly completely ignored!) thread here a few days back with a solid state SE class-A amp that does quite a bit better than that. Though it's "no-feedback" only in marketing-speak (as are all "no-feedback" amps when you get down to it). The output is a follower and each stage is a Sziklai pair, so there are several very short local-feedback loops. But doing it with tubes would be tough, I imagine.

Bill

clipping performance is going to matter

if you follow the last few bad examples to size your amps, select speaker sensitivity

Cordell has fast peak measurements of clipping a 200W amp "at realistic, yet listenable, levels in ordinary-sized rooms"

Hi kgrlee,
... have demonstrated it at meetings, that even powerful amplifiers clip on well-recorded music when played at realistic, yet listenable, levels in ordinary-sized rooms. Of course, this depends on the efficiency of the loudspeakers being used. The loudspeakers I used in many of these demonstrations were my M3s, built with Morel drivers and having efficiency on the order of 85dB. I even designed and built my peak-average meter to demonstrate that. Most of this is discussed on my web site.

These sorts of things were demonstrated at workshops at RMAF and HE2007. I have cited the well-recorded Ricky Lee Jones "Getto of my Mind" on her Flying Cowboys album numerous times as an example of a recording with very high dynamic range and crest factors.

Low distortion is a good thing, but not the only thing. Amplifiers must behave well in all respects under many different playing conditions to sound good overall. If they clip, they should do it cleanly. They must never burst, even briefly, into parasitic oscillation. The list goes on. It takes a lot of attention to detail to achieve very low distortion, and this can lead to a very good amplifier in other respects as well - maybe respects that are not as well-measured...

Cheers,
Bob

and we do have standards:

THX reference level explained - Acoustic Frontiers

individual mains speakers are calibrated for digital full scale = 105 dB SPL at the listening position
85 dB SPL is the "0 dB" volume control setting, you can dial it up, dynamic peaks are expected to be above

the LFE channel is supposed to have an additional +10 dB max capability

the LFE 115 dB SPL certainly dominates, 5x 105 db mains does add to 112 dB if linearly summed, adding less than 2 dB to the 115 dB of the LFE

Last edited:
Well lets see now....
I don't suppose I was averse to stirring some controversy with the OP...
Not sure I knew it would be to this degree though..
I did think some controversy would be illuminating, and it HAS!!!
Much of the "illumination" lays "between the lines"....

I also sorta expected the "there is no best" answers.... it did remind me about what every audio salesman in the 70s said as you walked in
through the doors.... basically, work your way back from the speakers....

Though I had kind of hoped that, with all the progress of decades... there might be one thing, that might be good for the vast majority of (non exotic) speakers, as well as the vast generality of tastes...
(or at least one that measures SO well, that everybody HAS to like how it sounds)....

Xaborus's post was most satisfying to me... in terms of what I was getting at with the OP..
(though I did figure some open debate would reveal a lot via long form)..
He cited various different "categories" as well as practicality and "more "normal" and versatile".
Equally valuable to hashing it out long-form via debate/discussion....

Blippo also sensed one of the root ideas I was getting at..
"where things are" with the current state of amp tech "..

On and on...

If we would know the "recipe" of the best amplifier topology - we would all use it for building the best amplifiers
Well how do I know you aren't??? :D

Thanks for attempting to quantify it though...

Originally Posted by Wikkid
Ok, so what's the best amp??

You originally clarified that 'best' meant 'best sounding' which is a subjective.....
This was actually intended as something of a joke...
admittedly not a very funny one..

Well, beyond measurements and with respect to objectivity and reproducibility, these are the only thing that really counts. At least more than 'feelings' and, even worse, 'alternative facts'.
As much as I like Kay... (and his cocktails)
I couldn't disagree with this more!

Facts are facts! IF there exists an alternative set of facts, its only because some were omitted in the first instance....

As much as I agree about feelings in the general arena,
Music is ONLY... EXCLUSIVELY about feelings!!!!!!!!!!

You'll note that the name of the forum is diyAudio...
Not diyLaboratory-instrument....

Music, (unless we're talking about the reproduction of train-whistles and the like) exists only to evoke emotion.. feelings.............

So the only consensus so far, is that its purely subjective but its not at all subjective?!?!?!

(there needs to be a pot-stir emoticon)

There's another criteria which I'm aware of, as I've discovered it for myself...
That of "musical involvement"... Being involved in the music... or, a playback system that you find draws you into the music... as opposed to finding your mind wandering while listening............
Hate to say it, but... I've often had that experience with SS equipment.
Especially in this sterile/harsh/dry digital recording/source world we live in TODAY.....

HUGE learning, so Thank you!
I shall keep reading.. and learing.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.