how long does it take output capacitors to remember

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I put an extra amp with superones on my TV output for time being. Its on with the main pretty much continuously, its logged about 3 months this way. Leaving it on never bothered me until cap memory got me wondering a little bit. About things like how long would it take patterns to form, does it happen to all output caps or just the cheaper ones, after it occurs how does it effect performance, in what way. And whatever I might be missing out.

Im guessing the amp might only be tapping 1/10th reserves 9/10 of the time unless cranking on some music or a movie.

I have no idea what the OP is talking about. He may be referring to the way that capacitors 'remember' the charge put into them by setting a voltage according to V=Q/C - but I suspect not. He may be referring to the way that an electrolytic will gradually adjust its oxide layer to achieve low leakage current, but only just, with the average applied voltage - but this is not usually called "cap memory". His last sentence makes even less sense than the rest of his post.

Could you try restating your question in normal technical English? Then we might be able to answer it.

I have no idea what the OP is talking about. He may be referring to the way that capacitors 'remember' the charge put into them by setting a voltage according to V=Q/C - but I suspect not. He may be referring to the way that an electrolytic will gradually adjust its oxide layer to achieve low leakage current, but only just, with the average applied voltage - but this is not usually called "cap memory". His last sentence makes even less sense than the rest of his post.

Could you try restating your question in normal technical English? Then we might be able to answer it.

Haha very funny, or I could wish in one hand and crap in the other. By that I mean wait for someone to happen along familiar with that term

But seeing as the replies thus far have not conjugated any warm nice fuzzy feelings I think Ill try a different approach.

I started on a Roksan page, nice, fine, learning is fun. I linked here, then there finding myself inside an article containing that term and a vague description.

But wait, hold the phone. I knew my noggin could be useful, battery memory just bounced off it and now it makes some sense, or no sense :scratch: BTW your post was helpful.

Battery memory, now that Im more familiar with.

When cells in batteries arent used regularly they become less effective at holding charge.

And how its important to fully charge a new rechargeable batteries in order to quench all the cells. Otherwise the the batteries "memory" will only allow it to charge back up to that point from then on.

Im not sure if any of that applies to capacitors, but that makes some sense to me now, or no sense at all. I went back to track down where I had read it, but came up empty. I was merely repeating what I had read and dont wish to try saying it any other way.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
.... I cannot understand anything.
Agreed, though we have had sufferers of communication disorders posting what seems nonsense before . Some patient members have actually been able to decipher it or just guess the needs well enough to make sense of the language. Then again, some don't realize that their expression might work when spoken, aided by gestures, among their friends but isn't as cool or clever as they think when in written English to be read and understood around the globe.

There are also folk who just don't understand or have never been exposed to real science and technology. The fact that electronics is a rigid, universal scientific discipline may not occur to them. They may be trying to use any association of words and phrases they perceive as having weight and meaning to get noticed, though.

Agreed, though we have had sufferers of communication disorders posting what seems nonsense before . Some patient members have actually been able to decipher it or just guess the needs well enough to make sense of the language. Then again, some don't realize that their expression might work when spoken, aided by gestures, among their friends but isn't as cool or clever as they think when in written English to be read and understood around the globe.

There are also folk who just don't understand or have never been exposed to real science and technology. The fact that electronics is a rigid, universal scientific discipline may not occur to them. They may be trying to use any association of words and phrases they perceive as having weight and meaning to get noticed, though.

Dr Sigmund Freud, come out of this body! :D

Leave an electrolytic dead for a number of years and it must be re formed.
Specifics would depend on how it was treated though. When the dielectric layer degrades, a small voltage tends to form that counteracts further degradation (maybe a volt) - but the capacitor must not see anything in parallel, as even a load in the megohms will drain it. Caps that have been effectively shorted out for decades tend to be about as dead as a cross between a dodo and a doornail, except for dedicated low-leakage types and bipolars. That's only one failure mechanism, of course.

As long as the amplifier is still being used regularly, there is little to worry about, in fact turning it off when unused may reduce wear a fair bit. A bit of a warmup period may be helpful if the electrolytics have seen better days, as they are about the only electronic component that works better when warm.

What is an amp with "superones".

Craig

NHT superones made in USA

I'm glad it wasn't just me :confused:

He also mentioned it was plugged into a tv.
That (for me) makes the concept of decent reproduction pointless.

Upgraded networks to property line > fiber optics to house > to digital box > fibre optics > DAC > amp > so on

Decent "TV" signal, I think so. I'd guess your cranky for still relying on tiny set type speakers for enjoyment.

I tried to get my concern across in a serious to the point manner, thought I did that. Thanks to see where it was gotten and taken seriously. I feel confident in the replies, and even picked up a few extras.

The non specifics always sucker a few, not to exclude anyone ome didnt baka na koto o iu na ;)

Last edited:
Upgraded networks to property line > fiber optics to house > to digital box > fibre optics > DAC > amp > so on

I don't actually own a tv.

Should we discuss poorly recorded material to start with.
Compression, bass and treble boost at the mixing console.
Pre emphasis at the transmission stage.
De emphasis at the decoding stage.

And after all this, your still worrying about the effects of one capacitor.

I envy someone that has such a wonderful life that this is all they need to worry about. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.