New home for AKSA 55

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally put my AKSA 55 all back together in what should be its final home. Still have a few details to finish but at least I can finally listen to it. I am really pleased with its sound quality with MB20s.

Attachments

• kk_front.jpg
    kk_front.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,698
Thank you very much. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. It's inspired by an old Audio Research pre-amp, I think, that I saw in a recent Absolute Sound.

AKSA or Aspen Kit Set Amplifier (took me a year to figure that out) are designed by Hugh Dean who posts here fairly regularly.

It's my first amp. I chose it because the kit came complete. Shopping for parts was holding me back from building a couple of other designs.

Nice work, Ultrachrome! Thanks for posting pics; very elegant layout, with due regard for good wiring practice, particularly the short input leads to each module and the use of the heatsink as shield between AC supply and amp modules.

It will take a good week to fully bed in; the caps all take time.

Raka, the kit is from Australia, and includes heatsink, power supply pcb, caps, and fast diodes. It does not include toroids, however, which are VERY heavy and normally available locally.

The circuit is a highly refined, tweaked classic, specifically voiced for large orchestral music where layering and TIM are traditionally the biggest issues.

Cheers,

Hugh

To support the heatsink I made standoffs out of 1/2" square aluminum specifically so the fins would be close to the holes in the lid. This was strictly for asthetics.

I then drilled holes in the shelf and ran a 10-24 brass screw into the aluminum standoff. I'll post a better picture tomorrow evening.

Thanks all for your kind words. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I think the amp sounds absolutely fantastic. I'm currently using a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi ultrachrome,

Good job! Sounds like we are going down the same path.

Out of curosity, did you notice a difference in sound when you put the AKSA in the box?

I ran my AKSA of six months in a frame and thought it sounded different when I finally mounted it in a proper case. (or was it just my imagination???)

The AKSA 55 was my first DIY amp as well - because it came as near complete kit. I have built a few other amps since and none are as good as the AKSA 55 IMHO.

I recently bought another AKSA 55 Nirvana (not completed yet) to see how much better upgrade kit sounds.

Greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.