GainWire Mk3 CFA pre/phone amp with very low distortion

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If it is a stereo board with PSU as shown below, then I am in for 1 board.

569537d1473773083-gainwire-mk3-cfa-pre-phone-amp-very-low-distortion-gainwire-mk3-gnfb-cfa-lay.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it's true.But j-fef is better.Especially at heights...

OK...and you can not change it ???Q11,12 If you do not mind...BJT is good.

It is true that is simpler to use jfets and John Curl(he has hundreds jfets on his disposition) use them in his almost always the same input stage. If you think it is better I would not argue with you. Now it is not easy to buy complementary jfets and to get matched, and not any more in production, lot of fakes there.
You can find a link to my first GainWire using jfets in post #8.

Any different with mk2?

Mk2 works in two modes, NGNFB and CFA, mk3 works in CFA only and thus needs less compromises(higher OLG and better compensation). It has lower distortion and because output buffer run at 100 mA(there two BC5xx in parallel) can drive low impedance headphones with very low distortion too.
There almost is no distortion when drives line or high impedance phones.
It uses PCB ground plane too.

Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here is the list for full two channels board, I will take two for me. Please edit the list if there more interested, two more to be 10 then I can order.

dadod------------2
platon.rado ----- 2
mlloyd1--------- 2
xrk971-----------1
reaper996--------1
Arthur-----------2

Here is the list for full two channels board, I will take two for me. Please edit the list if there more interested, two more to be 10 then I can order.<br />
<br />
dadod------------2<br />
platon.rado ----- 2<br />
mlloyd1--------- 2<br />
xrk971-----------1<br />
reaper996--------1 <br />
Arthur-----------2
Tonza75-----------2 <br />

Lähetetty minun H60-L04 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Here is the list for full two channels board. Please edit the list if there more interested, two more to be 10 then I can order.

dadod------------2
platon.rado ----- 2
mlloyd1--------- 2
xrk971-----------1
reaper996--------1
Arthur-----------2
schillg11---------1
vac231-----------2

I'm interested in single channel (without power supply) version too, if any.

Nicola

Here is the list for full two channels board. Please edit the list if there more interested, two more to be 10 then I can order.

dadod------------2
platon.rado ----- 2
mlloyd1--------- 2
xrk971-----------1
reaper996--------1
Arthur-----------2
schillg11---------1
vac231-----------2

I'm interested in single channel (without power supply) version too, if any.

Nicola

Hi Nicola,
If I understood you correctly you want full version(two channels with shuntreg) and single channel too.
I don't have any order except you for a single channel yet, need more interested to place a pcb order.
Damir

dadod------------2
platon.rado ----- 2
mlloyd1--------- 2
xrk971-----------1
reaper996--------1
Arthur-----------2
Tonza75-----------2
schillg11---------1
vac231-----------2

if this is correct, 15 boards, I will close it and order today the boards.

Last edited:
Damir:

Do you have a BOM for the MK3 and an optimal PT for this build? Also, I noticed on the schematic that you are using the BC550c and BC560c which are obsolete, can the BC5XXcta be used in there place?

Patrick

Patrick,
I have to make last check of the BOM and I will post it together with schematic.
In the BOM I will suggest replacement transistors too. I think that Fairchild still produces those transistors.
In stead od BC550C/BC560C could be used BC549C/BC559C low noise too, from Fairchild od Diotec.
Damir