Sonics 400x

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently picked up a pair of Sonics 400x amplifiers for a song and am looking to put them into service.

When they left IMAX the rear panel with proprietary Sonics crossover and such was removed leaving a white plastic plug with about 8 or so leads. As I understand these amps are essentially Bryston 3b NRB and my limited information tells me I can take the two grey coaxial wires and run them unbalanced stereo. Is this correct? Is there any way to ensure they are stereo and not mono push pull?

What would be needed to make these balanced? I have to admit to having trouble sourcing the correct schematic. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sonics

What you have is raw 3b modules
The coax are the single ended input (could use as is for stereo)
Id you want to bridge them mono one need to go through an inverter buffer.
Any question?
The oder wires in the connector are supply and ground.
+5v and +15 and -15

I have the schematic for the supply area the power modules are on the Bryston web site

Been a while... am sick of borrowing amps and am looking to get these amps on the rehab. While sending them to Bryston seems to be the recommended approach, I am going to try to throw some photos together and see what I really need to do to the amps and whether or not they can be put into service without the expenditure of sending them to Bryston.

prouthie, do you still have any schematics relating to these amps? Thanks.

Bringing this old thread back. These have been collecting dust and am wondering where to go from here.

This is the molex connector at the rear and the hole left by the removal of the input plate.

I presume there is more to it than just connecting a few wires to RCA jacks and using them as stereo amps eh?

Attachments

• IMG_20181116_123742422.jpg
    IMG_20181116_123742422.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 163
So I've done a bit of digging through some schematics and see where I need to get creative and make some stuff before just slapping a pair of RCAs on and based on some conversations and half memories I believe this is the circuit I need to replicate in order to interface with the connector in my previous post.

Although the circuit is listed as being for the 4b, all other amps seem to employ the same values in the circuit, so am assuming this would suffice.

I have a few questions about brystons and wonder if anyone here is a bit more informed than I and wouldn't mind helping me with a few answers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181120-202250.png
    Screenshot_20181120-202250.png
    319.4 KB · Views: 170
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.