Adcom GFA 555 Overheating with remote volume control?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I am having a issue with my Adcom GFA 555 overheating and shutting down when I use a Niles Audio VCS 100k speaker volume control for my outside speakers (Paradigm 9SE). This happens at any sound levels. When I eliminate the Niles Volume switch the amp runs cool. I have used a different (not sure what make) volume control in the past with no issues. It is still at my previous house unfortunately. I have verified all wiring is correct and undamaged. Can anyone advise on what might be wrong? Thanks
IMG_3557.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3557.jpg
    IMG_3557.jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 77
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Snobeeler,
That control doesn't look like it will handle very much power. If the transformer cores saturate, they could present a very low impedance to the amplifier. The output volume isn't the problem, it's how much power the amplifier is delivering that can overtax the transformers. Does that control have a rating for the maximum power it can handle?

Best, Chris

The specs said it could handle 100 watts. I know my 555 is much higher than that. The most I turn up the volume is moderate for short times. Could I have damaged the volume controller in some way that it is now causing my problem. as I think back the 2 months I have been using it, it appeared to work fine, its only recently the issue showed its face. Thanks for the help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.