Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

allfet circlotron
allfet circlotron
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2016, 04:53 PM   #1
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default allfet circlotron

Hi All

X ask me to post it here, so I do, some ideas behind it because I have simmed it only, but measures nice. distortion test in 4 and 8 ohm.

Maybe nice for a power J-fet .

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_1105 May. 21 21.51.jpg (642.8 KB, 3666 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_1108 May. 21 22.17.jpg (644.7 KB, 3569 views)

Last edited by kees52; 22nd May 2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 22nd May 2016, 05:05 PM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

allfet circlotron
Thanks Kees!

Can you please give ratings and specs? Bias current, max power, suggested VA rating on power supply, etc?

Also, the schematic looks clipped - can you post full schematic?
Old 22nd May 2016, 05:47 PM   #3
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is DC offset a problem? I ask that because there is no DC blocking capacitor is series with R10 feed back loop.
Old 22nd May 2016, 06:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

hi X

I have not yet build this, with two mosfets IRFP240 I think 100 watts is possible in 8 ohms, there are some things who has to be done, a temp sensitive resistor for the irp 240, I think idle go run away, with 2sk1058 however this is not the case (enhanced).

2 x 65 volts, normally the driver needs 8 volts extra for driving the mosfet output stage as it are source followers, but I think this is not so important with these aready high voltages,

The VA rating is for us diy people not difficult, 2x 65 volts 10/15 amps will do plenty it is just what you need.

But the second schematic without a circlotron is just as good and more save to have no voltage on output as a circlotron has, as a quasy kind amp.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_1112 May. 22 20.00.jpg (582.3 KB, 2967 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_1111 May. 22 12.53.jpg (652.2 KB, 2577 views)
Old 22nd May 2016, 06:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
Is DC offset a problem? I ask that because there is no DC blocking capacitor is series with R10 feed back loop.
As with simulation there is not loop, it stays stable.

Have some changes in schematic, the pot on the j fets do setup offset who do nicely. I remove the other feedback loop, do not now precisely of this is really needed tie output together with two resistors give a wrong fase for the feedback and make it a oscillator, (a really good class d).

I do like current feedback more, because of better sound, I go look if it can be implemented with other schematic, do it over again.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_1112 May. 22 20.00.jpg (582.3 KB, 3907 views)
Old 22nd May 2016, 06:25 PM   #6
Ketje is offline Ketje  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Well, I think there are problems.
The bias current of the output stage is not stable.
By adjusting R24 the voltage for the gates of the output fet's are jumping from one end to the other.
The 680 ohm resistors probably limit the excursion but is that good ?(big drop in loopgain)
Also missing is an offset adjust.
Using just fet's is amusing but no very practical.
Mona

Last edited by Ketje; 22nd May 2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 22nd May 2016, 06:31 PM   #7
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

allfet circlotron
I think the Circlotron topology - offset is actually what drives the speaker as there is no "ground" on the load. It is floating ground so what offset are you referring to?

I think the goal is balanced outputs from the output stage drivers. Balancing them is balancing the IPS.
Old 22nd May 2016, 07:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I think the Circlotron topology - offset is actually what drives the speaker as there is no "ground" on the load. It is floating ground so what offset are you referring to?

I think the goal is balanced outputs from the output stage drivers. Balancing them is balancing the IPS.
Hi X

If there is no ground, do not mean there is not a offset. and for the idle current, yes this can be a problem, special with the vertical mosfet, but maybe also the drivers, so need a correction, maybe a temp resistor of low omage on top of drivers.
Old 22nd May 2016, 07:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketje View Post
Well, I think there are problems.
The bias current of the output stage is not stable.
By adjusting R24 the voltage for the gates of the output fet's are jumping from one end to the other.
The 680 ohm resistors probably limit the excursion but is that good ?(big drop in loopgain)
Also missing is an offset adjust.
Using just fet's is amusing but no very practical.
Mona
I think also you are quite right, what concerns my math knowledge it do short circuit.

But nice to play, what concerns the 680 ohm resistors, I have to look at if differently I go need to do a circlotron compound like amp, with extra drivers in the circlotron itselfs, the low ohms and a source follower do not work well, but when use a drain follower things change a little, here I need mucho less swing from the driver, but get trouwble with capasitance and miller

The offset I did with a pot between the j fets at input changing balans of them..

regards and thanks for thinking with us.
Old 22nd May 2016, 11:32 PM   #10
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

allfet circlotron
Kees,
When you are ready, make a PCB design and I will build it. Looks very simple so far.
Thanks,
X

Click the image to open in full size.

allfet circlotronHide this!Advertise here!