Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Counterpoint SA-220 Capacitor Question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2016, 12:24 AM   #11
Rundmaus is offline Rundmaus  Germany
diyAudio Member

The picture shows a heat-sinked, probably hot component right behind. Go for a replacement with a sufficient voltage handling capability *and* 105C rating. Newer caps are usually smaller, so it should be possible to find a 16V/25V 105C cap in approx. the same size as the old one.

Regards,
Rundmaus
Old 19th March 2016, 03:09 AM   #12
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Rundmaus,
It actually helps to put in the largest (higher voltage rating) capacitor that will fit at 105C, or higher if you can find it. Here, the ripple rating is also critical.

Hi BassAmp,
Do yourself a favor and install it from the bottom of the PCB. Don't work from the top unless that really is the only avenue open to you.

-Chris
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:21 AM   #13
BassAmp is offline BassAmp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi Rundmaus,
It actually helps to put in the largest (higher voltage rating) capacitor that will fit at 105C, or higher if you can find it. Here, the ripple rating is also critical.

Hi BassAmp,
Do yourself a favor and install it from the bottom of the PCB. Don't work from the top unless that really is the only avenue open to you.

-Chris
Thanks for your input,

I don't really have much of a choice about doing this myself since most places don't even want to touch it, due to the mosfet situation. But this really isn't a problem as I don't think anyone will be as careful as I will be.

While it's tempting to try to replace the caps from the top, I really want to do a nice job so I will go at it from the bottom. I just wish the bottom of the main board was more accessible.

The existing caps are 10V. I can get either 16V or 25V replacements. Just to clarify, you would recommend 25V? Also, if I understand correctly, the higher the ripple current rating the better, right?

Thanks again
Old 4th April 2016, 06:30 AM   #14
BassAmp is offline BassAmp  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mission Accomplished

I finally tackled the job this afternoon and am very happy to report that the amp is working again. I replaced both caps, C50 and C51 with Nichicon KA series for what it's worth. Hey, they say "Audio" on them so they must be good

The whole job took just over 3 hours. If there had been a removable cover on the bottom, I'd say it would have taken 30 minutes tops. Oh well.

It seems that there is more low end now. Is it my imagination or could this cap repair be responsible for this?

Tomorrow I am going to retube the amp which is what I was trying to do when I discovered the blown cap in the first place.

Anyway, I just wanted to report back that the job was a success and thanks to everyone who helped me with this.
Old 11th January 2019, 05:02 PM   #15
NEGNIFOZ is offline NEGNIFOZ
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up SA 220 COUNTERPOINT

Gentlemen,
Does any of you enthusiasts know where I can get replacemtn valves for the SA220. I have two of them. Currently fitted Sovtek (R) 6922
SAlso (not sure if needed) Counterpoint EZ81GT (1 only per amp)
Many thanks Peter
0044 7775 867600 Whatts-App..... or pjfischer@pjfischer.com
Old 12th January 2019, 03:52 AM   #16
VivaVee is offline VivaVee  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Replace the Sovtek 6922 with ElectroHarmonix 6922.
Replace the EZ81 with a ElectroHarmonix 6CA4/EZ81

Note: EZ81 is the European code for the North American 6CA4.

You may find a closer source in the UK or you could try the the ElectroHarmonix webshop Home | Electro-Harmonix

If you are replacing the 6922s then please replace all four in the amplifier. The EZ81/6CA4 lasts about 2-3 times as long as the 6922, if that is any help. But they (EZ81) are pretty cheap so I used to replace the all five valves at once

Counterpoint SA-220 Capacitor QuestionHide this!Advertise here!