Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Lateral MOSFETs
Lateral MOSFETs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2016, 09:12 PM   #1
JaredC79 is offline JaredC79  United States
Banned

Default Lateral MOSFETs

I have only used Exicons as Holton was a large influence on designing and interest in building amps. I have to order more laterals in the very year future and while resistors and capacitors all have unique sonic qualities, can the same be said about laterals? If I decided to use the seme or other mfg for the next order to save time matching transistors and the other components and topography the same, would the results and tonal quality be virtually identical? Part of me wants to say no because of the switching nature of a transformer however another part of me wants to say since it is in the path of the signal the tone will be different from one MFG to the next. Can anyone please chime in with their experience?
Old 22nd February 2016, 01:05 AM   #2
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

I built the OPC wire amp that used TI LME49830 and alf16N(P)160 devices. i measured amp to have 600ns rise time and the fall was just a bit slower. it has really nice bass drive. I like it, nice sounding amp.
now working on a faster amp, the mark alexander cfa design using the same lats but two in parallel thos time, as I am going to use a bigger supply.
Old 22nd February 2016, 08:58 PM   #3
Banned

Will the Exicons sound the same as a Semelab lateral provided the same topography? I want to change the design up to take advantage of the PNP packages rather then matching transistors when running in series. I know the Exicons are robust and haven't touched or heard the ON or Seme products yet - but if they will sound different i will use the PNP packages for different amps and keep the Exicons on the designs already using them and change the components for another amp.
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:29 PM   #4
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think too much emphasis is put on sound changes made by components.
Negative feedback ensures that all these things are irrelevant.

I have a house full of different amplifiers that all sound the same through the same speakers.

I even use vertical mosfets in some of my designs and still cant hear the difference.

Or maybe my old ears just aren't sensitive enough ?
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:46 PM   #5
voltwide is offline voltwide  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
?
+100 points
Old 23rd February 2016, 05:34 AM   #6
Banned

thank you - you would admit a difference between wirewound and non magnetic non inductive thin/thick film resistors and higher quality caps tho correct? or is that all BS as well - I will never spend 15-20 on a resistor of .1 but a few bucks where it is critical - may as well provided the benefits are there.
Old 23rd February 2016, 06:53 AM   #7
dady is offline dady  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to dady Lateral MOSFETs
Quote:
Negative feedback ensures that all these things are irrelevant.

I have a house full of different amplifiers that all sound the same through the same speakers.

Or maybe my old ears just aren't sensitiven enough ?
I can say that you are right Nigel, Recently and after to thousand hours across my life in listening classic music, visit a friend of me with the same goals in listen and to compare.
I travel bringing my Lowthers 1000Km, EX4 and DX3, to compare with SE monster amplifiers that my friend has, and the fact was to see which difference are with the AERs he own.
The sound was the same kind, I have now sounding in my living room a yamaha SS from the eighties and with minor differences, the sound was the same.

With this I can ratify that you are right, the sound is depending on the Speaker system.

Best Regards
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:04 AM   #8
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredC79 View Post
Will the Exicons sound the same as a Semelab lateral provided the same topography?
Differences in track layout have much greater effect on measured performance than device brand
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:37 AM   #9
sottomano is offline sottomano
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredC79 View Post
Will the Exicons sound the same as a Semelab lateral provided the same topography? [...]
Semelab produces Exicon, Magnatec, Alfet, ClassD, whatever they are branded, it's all the same product.

Read up what Charles Hansen had to say about this here. Partly pretty old information, btw.
Sadly he doesn't post anymore here.
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:08 AM   #10
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
Banned

Quote:
That's funny. Coz I have only one amplifier but it sounded different through the same speaker I used. And I only changed the input transistor

Hfe, noise and input capacitance of the transistor contributes to audio quality. That's how good designers design good quality amplifier...

Lateral MOSFETsHide this!Advertise here!