Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Winfield's 100W DC-10MHz 1000V/us amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2016, 10:33 PM   #11
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thank you. Will take a more detailed look. for now it plays music, which is better than silence. But you have piqued my curiosity to dig deeper
Old 18th February 2016, 05:17 PM   #12
arnyk is offline arnyk  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
The dropbox works for me, not the others, they won't open.
Ditto.
Old 15th July 2016, 02:03 PM   #13
dimitri is offline dimitri  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to dimitri
Dear Mr. Hill,
Can you please share gerber or design files for the AMP-70?
Thank you
Old 15th June 2017, 01:49 AM   #14
lanyuflying is offline lanyuflying  China
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhill2 View Post
Rather than continue and extend a fragmented discussion on other threads, I'm starting a new one to discuss my amplifier design, the AMP-70. Fast slew rates are desirable for audiophile amplifiers, for better transient response. My 1000V/us amplifier, which can deliver 100W rms into 8 ohms, could be thought of as an awesome hi-fi amp, but it's really just a laboratory amplifier designed to deliver a full output swing up to 5MHz, even into capacitive loads. (I've included some reduced-size images in this post, the full versions are in the Dropbox folder linked below.)

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

The design is based on the output amplifier in the Tektronix PG508 50MHz pulse generator. We examine this in detail as a Designs-by-the-Masters section in our upcoming book, The Art of Electronics, x-Chapters. I've included this 4-page section in the Dropbox link below. Here's the schematic.

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Basically there's an input stage creating a push-pull error current into a folded-cascode VAS stage, and emitter-follower outputs. The secret for fast slewing is to use a high 60mA VAS current with low Ccb capacitance transistors, for a fast slew rate S = i/C = 3000V/us for the PG508. The Tek pulse generator only had to deliver 0.2A to its load, whereas I have to deliver 5A, so I'm using larger, higher-capacitance transistors. Following the principle, F.O.M. = Pd / Ccb, to improve the slew rate, I selected low-capacitance types. They're fragile and I'm using 20, to limit their power dissipation.

My amplifier design is somewhat more complicated, with various features to increase its capabilities, which we can discuss. Here's a dropbox link to my AMP-70A-2 schematic and related files for you to look over. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dno89om1u...9_cTcH4Ja?dl=0
interisting.
Old 15th June 2017, 03:33 AM   #15
lanyuflying is offline lanyuflying  China
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up hi,winhill2,could you send the image to my email?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhill2 View Post
Rather than continue and extend a fragmented discussion on other threads, I'm starting a new one to discuss my amplifier design, the AMP-70. Fast slew rates are desirable for audiophile amplifiers, for better transient response. My 1000V/us amplifier, which can deliver 100W rms into 8 ohms, could be thought of as an awesome hi-fi amp, but it's really just a laboratory amplifier designed to deliver a full output swing up to 5MHz, even into capacitive loads. (I've included some reduced-size images in this post, the full versions are in the Dropbox folder linked below.)

The design is based on the output amplifier in the Tektronix PG508 50MHz pulse generator. We examine this in detail as a Designs-by-the-Masters section in our upcoming book, The Art of Electronics, x-Chapters. I've included this 4-page section in the Dropbox link below. Here's the schematic.

Basically there's an input stage creating a push-pull error current into a folded-cascode VAS stage, and emitter-follower outputs. The secret for fast slewing is to use a high 60mA VAS current with low Ccb capacitance transistors, for a fast slew rate S = i/C = 3000V/us for the PG508. The Tek pulse generator only had to deliver 0.2A to its load, whereas I have to deliver 5A, so I'm using larger, higher-capacitance transistors. Following the principle, F.O.M. = Pd / Ccb, to improve the slew rate, I selected low-capacitance types. They're fragile and I'm using 20, to limit their power dissipation.

My amplifier design is somewhat more complicated, with various features to increase its capabilities, which we can discuss. Here's a dropbox link to my AMP-70A-2 schematic and related files for you to look over. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dno89om1u...9_cTcH4Ja?dl=0

I,m glad to read the very interisting design. It's excellent. But because I'm from China, the Dropbox has been blocked by GFW. So I need your help.Could you send these image and material about your amp-70a and amp-70a-2 to my email? my email adress is 892461095@qq.com, thks!!!
Old 15th June 2017, 09:56 AM   #16
winhill2 is offline winhill2  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the comments. As you can see from the schematic, the amplifier can actually slew to 1330V/us. That gives us a full output swing to 5MHz. It's response begins to drop off at 10MHz. It can be made to go faster at the expense of higher power dissipation in Q15, 16, 29, 30, 35 and 36.

On the drawing I say, don't use the 1-ohm resistance output connection. But of course that's what we are using. :-) Furthermore, we have two amplifiers each driving a 1:4 step-up transformer, to get two 240 Vpp signals, 90-degrees out of phase, over the range of 1 to 5MHz, to create a smoothly-rotating electric field across four electrodes, for electro-rotation experiments.

I have added the Gerber file to the DropBox link, and if someone is really, really interested, I could provide a blank PCB.

Last edited by winhill2; 15th June 2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 15th June 2017, 10:13 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I have added a BOM and the Gerber file. If you are really, really interested in experimenting with this, despite it's painful collection of 20 output transistors on a pair of nested machined heat-spreading plates**, etc., I could send a blank PCB.

** I searched just now but couldn't locate my drawings with the detailed plate-machining dimensions.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:18 AM   #18
dimitri is offline dimitri  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to dimitri
Thank you so much for gerber files. I'm going to use this amp with VNA for current injection. The board was designed for ten output pairs, but you staffed only five. May I ask why?

lanyuflying, message sent
Old 15th June 2017, 01:57 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the confusion. The board was only designed for five complementary output pairs. Yes, I said it takes 20 transistors on the heat sinks, because the VAS, driver and thermal-biasing transistors also need to be on the heatsink. So you see 10 pairs of power transistors and screw holes.
Old 16th June 2017, 01:42 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

"My amplifier design is somewhat more complicated, with various features to increase its capabilities, which we can discuss."

One simple thing I've done that I haven't seen others do, is to place a 5-volt dc-dc converter supply on top of each of the 48V power rails. These are used to power the VAS stage. By driving above the rails, we insure the full capability of the final output-transistor emitter-followers is realized. You can use 1- or 2-watt six-pin SIP dc-dc modules, which are small and cost about $5.

I used 2-watt modules that can deliver 400mA, because I'm running the VAS stage's quiescent bias current at 80mA, with 160mA peak current. If the DC amplifier is driven off-scale beyond the rails, the VAS will sit at 160mA. A 200mA max capability would be too close.

Winfield's 100W DC-10MHz 1000V/us amplifierHide this!Advertise here!