PR-800 ClassA/AB Amplifier Kit

Bias

I use a 2 X 50 vac transformer which will result in 2 X 70 vdc. Sometimes circuit need high voltage before bias works. Turned the potentiometer clockwise and used a vario transformer. Could see when it began to draw current on the display. You can also just measure the temperatur. Approx 35 - 40 Celsius on heatsinks would be fine. I will need another 2 X 50 AC for the other channel. Ordered it from Toroidy - Polen. Have to wait until it arrives to tell how the amp sound. Maybe it only will be used as subwoofer amp. Time will show.

Hi, I have bought two PR-800 boards and am experimenting with them. it works well with a Connexelectronics SMPS2000RxE +/- 85Volt power supply. I measured the bias preload on one of the 0.22Ohm cement resistors. I set the bias voltage to 11mV. U = RxI ....... 0.22Ohm x 50mA = 11mV. the heat sink becomes warm. there are no distortions to be heard. the board can also be operated with 100mA. it is then already in class A mode and it gets very hot. then you need large heat sinks. I think 50mA is a good compromise for my application and fun to listen to. it really has a lot of power and i'm a fan.

Hi, I have bought two PR-800 boards and am experimenting with them. it works well with a Connexelectronics SMPS2000RxE +/- 85Volt power supply. I measured the bias preload on one of the 0.22Ohm cement resistors. I set the bias voltage to 11mV. U = RxI ....... 0.22Ohm x 50mA = 11mV. the heat sink becomes warm. there are no distortions to be heard. the board can also be operated with 100mA. it is then already in class A mode and it gets very hot. then you need large heat sinks. I think 50mA is a good compromise for my application and fun to listen to. it really has a lot of power and i'm a fan.
Do you know the values of the zener diodes in the Pr-800?

Here's the picture.
Diagram of this pr-800
images.jpeg

Self ocillations on a Chinese PR-800 kit,
I mounted power transistors MJL21193G and MJL21196G from Farnell. The driver transistors are MJE15033G and MJE15032G of Chinese origin, those that came with the kit.

For the start-up tests I use a symmetrical 2 x 32V lab power supply limited in current to avoid any problems. Self ocillations occurs by increasing the input signal and also occurs earlier if the supply voltage is lowered to 2 x 20V for example.

I do not have the diagram of this kit of course but an earlier version exists the difference is the protection of the loudspeakers which is different on the first versions. On the one I have, the protection is limited to DC output protection.

Knowing that in the end this amplifier will be powered by a symmetrical voltage of 2 x 80V.

Which way do I have to look to remove this Self ocillations ?

Thanks for your help.

pr-800.PNG

1668008477447.jpg

1668008465000.jpg

Total noob here. I am assuming the oscilloscope is the output, For one, it looks like crossover distortion. I would check Q10 for orientation. And measure across R20 with the input shorted and maybe load the output a little with a small-ish resistor, like 100ohms. Assuming its not oscillating, I would guess V at R20 >1.4V
EDIT: What is the second graph?

Last edited:
Total noob here. I am assuming the oscilloscope is the output, For one, it looks like crossover distortion. I would check Q10 for orientation. And measure across R20 with the input shorted and maybe load the output a little with a small-ish resistor, like 100ohms. Assuming its not oscillating, I would guess V at R20 >1.4V
Yes it is indeed the output on the oscillograms the amp is loaded with a resistor of 8 Ohms for the tests. There is no ocillations without a signal at the input.

Yes it is indeed the output on the oscillograms the amp is loaded with a resistor of 8 Ohms for the tests. There is no ocillations without a signal at the input.
Well, the low side (PNP) gain is asymmetrical. And the distortion occurs at ~ -0.6V peak. I would still bet a few small value coins that its at the driver or output, and its not really oscillation, it is a semiconductor dud or connected the wrong way round. Maybe kill the protection by lifting R31 R32 first?

EDIT: What is the second graph?
The second graph is when the input level rise.

Self ocillations on a Chinese PR-800 kit,
I mounted power transistors MJL21193G and MJL21196G from Farnell. The driver transistors are MJE15033G and MJE15032G of Chinese origin, those that came with the kit.

For the start-up tests I use a symmetrical 2 x 32V lab power supply limited in current to avoid any problems. Self ocillations occurs by increasing the input signal and also occurs earlier if the supply voltage is lowered to 2 x 20V for example.

I do not have the diagram of this kit of course but an earlier version exists the difference is the protection of the loudspeakers which is different on the first versions. On the one I have, the protection is limited to DC output protection.

Knowing that in the end this amplifier will be powered by a symmetrical voltage of 2 x 80V.

Which way do I have to look to remove this Self ocillations ?

Yardımınız için teşekkürler.

View attachment 1108041
View attachment 1108042
View attachment 1108043
this schematic has nothing to do with the green pcb circuit

Çin PR-800 kitinde kendi kendine salınımlar,
Farnell'den MJL21193G ve MJL21196G güç transistörlerini monte ettim. Sürücü transistörleri, kit ile birlikte gelenler olan Çin menşeli MJE15033G ve MJE15032G'dir.

Başlangıç testleri için, herhangi bir sorun yaşamamak için akımla sınırlı simetrik 2 x 32V laboratuvar güç kaynağı kullanıyorum. Kendi kendine salınımlar, giriş sinyalini artırarak meydana gelir ve örneğin besleme gerilimi 2 x 20V'a düşürüldüğünde de daha erken oluşur.

Tabii ki bu kitin şemasına sahip değilim ama daha eski bir versiyon var, fark, ilk versiyonlarda farklı olan hoparlörlerin korunmasıdır. Sahip olduğumda koruma, DC çıkış koruması ile sınırlıdır.

Sonunda bu amplifikatörün 2 x 80V'luk simetrik bir voltajla çalıştırılacağını bilerek.

Bu Self salınımları ortadan kaldırmak için hangi yolu aramalıyım?

Yardımınız için teşekkürler.

View attachment 1108041
View attachment 1108042
View attachment 1108043

Well, the low side (PNP) gain is asymmetrical. And the distortion occurs at ~ -0.6V peak. I would still bet a few small value coins that its at the driver or output, and its not really oscillation, it is a semiconductor dud or connected the wrong way round. Maybe kill the protection by lifting R31 R32 first?
r31 r32 resistor is not used on green pcb board

OK you were right, I think it's the drivers transistors that have crappy parameters! So surely fakes because when I remove the 150pF on the base of the MJE15032 and I put a 560pF on the base of the MJE15033 the oscillation disappears even when I increase the input level!

Do you think it is preferable to change the drivers for safe sources or can have to be satisfied with this device with these capacities?

Thanks for your help.

pr.PNG