How to design an amp from scratch...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perhaps it's a bit too much, but at least I could try...

I want to design an amplifier. Oh, wouldn't it be sweet to build something like one of those really big amps, like Pass :))), Accuphase, Krell, Classe, etc... I woud really want an amp that could really drive my Piega's, and I want to build it myself :)

I am studying Electrical engineering at University level, and I am quite good in building things, but I really don't know a thing about building amps, let alone DESIGNING one.

It can take time, at least a year to start with, so there will be plenty of time to study, experiment, build, burn, destroy, rebuild, test, redesign, etc....

But where to start? who can help me make this project work?
Bakmeel

Sharing Ideas

Bakmeel,

Perhaps the best place to start would be to study some of the books available on audio amplifier design. After you do this you should have a good idea of what goes into making a amplifier work correctly. Then you modify the ideas presented in these books to suit your own desires.

By the way I was born in Delft, Holland and I learned a lot of how things should be done from my father whose hobby it was to build some very fine equipment. A lot can be learned from a great craftsman. Look around your area to see if you can find such a person and who is willing to share his or her knowledge. There should be a number of good audio clubs in Holland. Some of these may very well discuss thier projects on the internet.

John Fassotte
Alaskan Audio
www.audioamps.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.