Electrostatic suited amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After ordering all my mylar and consuctive coatings the next step is to replace the trusty gainclone with something a little more robust.
The transformers for the electrostats are 60w continuous each so going much over the 60w rms power figure would be of no use.
My main worry is the capacitive load the transformer presents to the amp. The electrostats are also know for thier impedence drops (to about 0.7ohm i read somewhere(?)).

I was thinking an Aleph X but I listen to it while going to sleep on a regular basis and the extra heat would cook me alive in my current room and for the low power levels it would be wasted.
Does anyone know and alternate design suited to the load?
less importantly, can I use my 100v 50 amp fets that i have lying about? (Perfect for an aleph x :rolleyes: )

Thanks for your surgestions

Where the impedance drops is in the top octave, and that's where music has the least energy, so should be the least concern to you. Drive angle will be the big issue, not magnitude. You need something that will swing lots of volts, so single-ended and Class A is probably not the way to go. Bridging the chip amps could work quite well on musical material (as opposed to 20 kHz test tones).

My first choice would be tubes, which partner very naturally with ESLs, but this is the solid state forum so I won't say that.

SY - I think your refering to driving the electrostats directly. In which case alot of voltage is required. With a 1:70 transformer (8 ohms primary) , a standard voltage level amp only needed which simplifies alot.
Your slew rate comments are true (= drive angle?) but with a standard voltage amplifier it becomes less important since it has alot less voltage to swing. (Slew rate being voltage in repect to time... i think)
I'd like to try something different from a chip amp, mainly because of the sound quality versus a disreet design IMHO.
Would a P3a bridged into the transformer being fed a balanced signal being able to cope?
Also, with the OPTI-MOS,, I looked for some of the parts at my local supplier but I can't get alot of them easily.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.