Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Supreme Sound OpAmp V5
Supreme Sound OpAmp V5
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2015, 03:31 PM   #1
ALPUY is offline ALPUY  Uruguay
diyAudio Member

Default Supreme Sound OpAmp V5

Hello. Just a question.
In my free time, I have dedicated myself to the audio DIY as a hobby.
And so with your help I have solved problems in my modest audio system, such as dc offset solve my Rotel RA 970BX ROTEL RA-970 BX .
I am currently assembling a phono pre VSPS 300.
But always looking modest improvement audio system, I find this Burson Audio – Supreme Sound Opamp V5.
As my Rotel preamp has as one AD827, I thought it could be replaced with this upgrade.
Worth it?. Regards, Joseph.
Old 4th October 2015, 10:24 PM   #2
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

Unless you consider that discrete opamps will actually introduce some nice distortion, substituting them in a preamp cannot improve on the performance of an AD827, assuming the original part and the discrete substitute are both implemented optimally.

You are throwing big money at a budget amplifier in the hope of improving it and that's a longshot for true improvement by just swapping a discrete component for an IC but even if you feel better by doing something to your amplifier, it will be a matter of taste in sound quality rather than performance. That will be for your ears to decide and no amount of suggestions here can tell you what they will sound like in your specific amplifier.

Try it and see, if you have that much money to spare but I would be looking further up-market for a more ambitious amplifier or better still, build a DIY amplifier rather than tinker with retail products. There are plenty of good DIY designs here to choose from - just read the threads and decide what appeals best to you, as either a separate preamplifier to go with your ROTEL or a complete integrated amplifier, as a possible total upgrade to what you have
Old 4th October 2015, 10:35 PM   #3
ALPUY is offline ALPUY  Uruguay
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ian, you are right to advise investing money to go to an amplifier with better performance, whether purchased or bricolage. Regards.
Old 15th October 2015, 08:21 PM   #4
thegoldenear is offline thegoldenear  Australia
diyAudio Member

just installed the burson v5 in my 2nd hand amp. i replaced two AD711's and it really opened up the sound. it was worth it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25th April 2016, 09:15 AM   #5
eherdian is offline eherdian
diyAudio Member

@Alpuy,
If you have budget for Burson op amp, go ahead and take your chance, it worth for the money you spendspend.
Burson will take your audio sound with better Soundstage, more harmonic and detail, I can't describe all with wordstill, I use gen IV by the way but I believe the gen V will bit better than gen IV.
I just wanna say, if you wanna know about op amp or else, ask to somebody who have tried it not from somebody that didn't.

Regards
Old 25th April 2016, 01:14 PM   #6
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Supreme Sound OpAmp V5
This may be useful for those wanting to roll their own op amp.

https://www.passdiy.com/pdf/diyopamp.pdf
Old 5th May 2016, 08:19 AM   #7
FritzS is offline FritzS  Austria
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to FritzS
I had open a new thread about, don't see this before
Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 experience
Fritz AKG K872, K812, Q701, K701, K550, K271 MKII, Denon AH-D7000; GSP green SOLO, WNA MK II; Marantz SA7001 KI, Philips CD650; Revox B790, Goldring G1042; GSP green Reflex; sold Sennheiser HD600; as guest AKG K1000

Supreme Sound OpAmp V5Hide this!Advertise here!