70's Pionner RCA plug replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
70's Pioneer RCA plug replacement

Hi,

So 1st post! I'm new to the idea of DIY audio and electrical engineering and principles and have been keenly reading as much as I can since I decided to invest my free time into the subject about a year ago. I'm a computer engineer by trade and love learning so it keen great fun so far.

Anyway to the point, I've picked up some old Pioneer gear an SA 7100 and a SX 780 that I've been fixing up and one of the jobs that needs sorting is the RCA connections on the inputs have seen some use and the out-shields need to be replaced as the lugs that then connect to the buzz bar style earth have flexed once too much and have started to break off. I've been searching on Mouser but can't see anything similar that I can steal parts from. Has anyone seen anything like this that can be bought new?

The lugs need to be about 8mm long.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Maybe someone might have faced an issue like this before? :xfingers: If not I'll have to engineer a grounding solution on the rear of the amp.

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_20150830_093046566 (1).jpg
    IMG_20150830_093046566 (1).jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20150830_093108902.jpg
    IMG_20150830_093108902.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20150830_093055807.jpg
    IMG_20150830_093055807.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Maybe you can repair the breaks by soldering?

Hi, Unfortunately there is a little flex when connecting the RCA wires which then breaks the solder joint. I then end up with a little bit of solder floating around inside :(

I was thinking of adding some new metal tabs and soldering them on the inside of the shield wall but it might be a very tight fit. I'd need to get some thin tin and some sharp snips.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You'll probably find that the metal ferrule is part of a moulded assembly that mounts into the PCB and usually has 2-4 pairs of sockets in a block, as your second pic shows, of 2 pairs of sockets which are also screwed to the rear panel by those 2 diagonally placed self tapping screws.

The moulded assemblies were once available at local kit parts sellers but now only these similar, single height types are locally available from Altronics. http://www.altronics.com.au/p/p0224-3-way-pcb-mount-rca-socket/
Both Altronics and Jaycar sell a simpler flat, panel mounting type that probably uses similar ferrules too. Find a reseller near you and have a look-see at what you may be able to refit directly or adapt.

There are alternatives but those mouldings are a structural part of the whole amplifier assembly so it is probably best to only repair or replace what you have. A scrapped cheapo amplifier or HT receiver is also not a bad source for those bits and pieces :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.