Well, this is embarrassing. A/V receiver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pioneer 5.1 channel receiver that's about to give. Looking for a 5.2 channel processor. I was completely new to audio when i bought it. I'm just curios of whats a good budget receiver I was looking into crown amps. And the part I need finding is a 5.2 A/V processor for under $500.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Best Buy has a pile of 5.2 receivers on sale right now - most under $300. I'd start there..

Crutchfield has a pretty good range of 5.2 receivers for under $500..

Sreten: 5.2 aka 5 channel Dolby Atmos, two subwoofers...
See also Dolby 7.2

Emotiva makes an Atmos pro, but it's about $2500.

I was curious, but could not find a single processor online anywhere near your price point.

Just a quick calculation: assuming 2m listening distance in a bedroom with two 91dB/W/m speakers and a 200W amp produces roughly 115dB SPL. If this is not enough, one must be seriously hearing impaired (if not, he will be after a while listening at that volume)....

Last edited:
Are those "5.2" receivers really 5.2, as in two different sub channels? If it's just one that's split internally, a splitter cable would do pretty much the same job.

Depending on what sort of building you live in, multiple subs can be a godsend. In lossy structures like lightweight wooden constructions you'll probably notice higher maximum levels most of all, while in solid brick or concrete buildings it's one of the few options for taming room modes.

well technically, the Dolby Atmos designation would start at 5.1.2 - the .2 part meaning the 2 "channels" of ceiling / height effects

and depending on how gonzo you want to go

IOW, I think there is still only one LFE "channel", although some receivers and processors may have more than one rca output jack -in case you're running multiple isolated powered woofers.

just when you thought is was safe to get in the pool again ........

Last edited:
Yet again another layer of confusion apparently - does the .2 in this case refer to "stereo" sub out, 2 mono jacks* , or something else again

Just looking at summary of specs for a Sony ES 7.2 rig, I found it hard to decypher if / how some of the features are different from other brands that I've owned / used.

edit: * if it's only another sub woofer operating on the single LFE channel, then I guess many of us have been operating 5.2 (or more) for years

Last edited:
So, just how big is this bedroom anyway? As others have suggested, even with speakers of unusually low sensitivity , 200W per for the front, plus powered woofers and even a token set of surrounds to justify the "5" part would be pretty freaking loud in any bedroom I've seen in real life.

But for sake of argument, assuming you really do "need" that much, there are some receivers in the middle of several makers' ranges that have line outs for all channels, as well as "assignability" of at least one of the pairs of front effect channels to allow bi-amping of front mains - I've assisted in installation of 2 such for family members (Marantz SR somethings). Some even using onboard DSP for digitial XO and ACTIVE biamping - in my own case Onky TX NR818, a particularly niece piece. I may sound like a broken record as I've talked about this before, but it is very convenient for someone who builds lots of different speaker configurations.

But trying to find a piece that will exactly satisfy your particular requirements and budget, could be a challenge. By the time you add the cost of the Crown amps you think you need into the equation, might you not be able to afford an all in one unit that will do it more simply? Are your two subwoofers self powered?

edit: Dragonweed - nice calculator link - too bad it doesn't include a factor for total room volume - that can make a huge difference

final edit, I promise: "rated for 200 watts" means next to nothing for home speakers, except perhaps that continuous dissipation at those power levels is almost guaranteed to melt something - but likely long after you've suffered temporary if not permanent hearing damage.

Last edited:
I'm using 2 powered subwoofers. Each rated for 300w RMS. I know crown amps add up really fast but each and every receiver I've seen cost more than the amps all combined! The room is tiny 11.5'W/12''L/8'H. And i have the thing way up all of the time. The bed adsorbs a lot of the sound and acts as acoustic dampening.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.