Class AB Amp Questions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im new to amp building. And i am wanting to build 4 class ab amps. Can someone please give a very clear explanation of how they work and some formulas to building them. I need 2 300w RMS amps and 2 150w RMS amps. I am bi-amping a pair of speakers i have designed. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Im new to amp building. And i am wanting to build 4 class ab amps. Can someone please give a very clear explanation of how they work and some formulas to building them. I need 2 300w RMS amps and 2 150w RMS amps. I am bi-amping a pair of speakers i have designed. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

New to building amps, I would suggest starting with a smaller design or buy a pre-designed kit. Unfortunately many of these kits are not comprehensive do not have protection circuitry included nor a power supply circuit and thus requires another kit(s).

If you are going to start from scratch, make your own circuit, there are many little tricks you learn from building amps as to the best method. First, start small until you get the feel for how the circuit functions and understand how to control it. Then move on to a larger circuit. A wrong move during construction and test can cause power transistors to release magic smoke. This is not good, but if this is a small TO-220 that costs $1, it is much less of a kick in the wallet than if $20+ worth of outputs go "POOooffff-zzz-t". Believe me, I have smoked my share of power transistors.:flame: Always keep in mind building amps with no fault detection/protection circuitry is done at your own risk........possible speaker damage and such.:warped:

I have gotten 99% of all the windows programs I need to run under Wine.
I have all of my electronic CAD software to run in Wine, PCBcad's, Circuitmaker, LTspice, you name it!!

Diptrace, Kicad, Design Spark (I think), MPLAB(X) for PIC chips, REW (for audio testing of circuits), Eagle7.3, Code:Blocks and Eclipse for C, Fritzing, Programming IDE's and more all work!!

I have even gotten Visual Analyzer to work but I haven't fully tested it yet, but at least the GUI fires up.

I am currently using the new Wine Staging project and it solved an issue I had with the Circuitmaker simulator (although it is dated it works quite well!)l.

Get New Wine Features Faster With `Wine Staging` [PPA] ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

I am using Ultimate Edition 4.3 (KDE) with Kernel 3.18.14 it is a Ubuntu 14.04 based Distro and I am pretty much free from windows now !!!! :)

I hope this helps you.

FWIW

jer :)

P.S. Linux?........No Problem here !!! ;)

Last edited:
FellCrustacean,
Whilst perhaps bluntly delivered, the advice the other posters gave was sensible, start slowly and work up to "The Project Of Death". There is no shame in building a few kits, not the least so you can get your head around the many (many) tricks you will need to learn.

Just as I assume you did not write your own distro of Linux when you decided Windows was rubbish, you will find that getting a high power design right is just a touch more complex than being given a few formulae.

Your earlier posts are somewhat thin on detail. Out of interest, when you say Bi-Amping, do you mean using an active crossover or simply parallelling the amplifiers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.