Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS

Good work Do...but i recently found that if you don`t have a CNC machine at your disposal your project `stinks`.
Also i found that thick film smd resistors `stink` you should revert to THT. I wander what those bastards that use carbon composition resistors think. Maybe that distortion figures are not so important as long as they are low, but the harmonic profile, this is good engineering.
So i wonder... where is the joy of building an amp?

Hi filenet,

I've been using many different tools to work on aluminum and I can do some very nice work with them without using a CNC. You just need to be very patient. It also require much more work but I'm not in a rush.

All my SMD resistors are Thin Film only which are exactly the same as TH Metal Film. Don't know much about carbon resistors aside knowing that my tube fan friends use them in their tube amplifiers and it usually sound really good. I guess its all about design but also, tube amplifiers usually have more distorsion.

Honestly, I love building amplifiers, I only hate doing all the cabling since I'm a little obsessed with having everything neat and tidy, it takes me so much time that I sometimes hate it... :D

All the best!
Do

I totally get what you mean though. Many times someone will build something but it will never be what he/she really wanted to achieve, sound-wise and look-wise and at this point it would have been much easier to buy something from the commercial side, that you know what to expect.

My first build over ten years ago (I was buying commercial only before) was made of MDF and sounded good but was really fugly, definitely not WAF, although my wife has a high tolerance, I did not push my luck for too long.. :D

Ciao!
Do

I think the key is to not use the resistors anywhere near their power rating. I finally have a good distortion analyzer at my disposal so I can physically test this. DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

Our home built amplifiers are usually better than commercial. I've had quite a few people run my VHex amps in their systems and they've all commented on how much better the detail and sound image is.

Last edited:
Valery's Tribute-3000

I'm working my way through implementing Valery's updated Sansui Ba-3000 driver and OPS. I don't have a BA-3000 but I have a BA-2000, About 10v less B+ and a slightly smaller chassis. Well, its was smaller It's not smaller anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_3728.jpg
    IMG_3728.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_3997.jpg
    IMG_3997.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_4001.jpg
    IMG_4001.jpg
    757.4 KB · Views: 305