Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS

I've been having trouble keeping up to Valery's new design output, so I've designed a new modular version of the output board with a stacking header for the input board. It should be an easier to assemble board with almost all parts on the topside.

The next level of convenience - we've got a number of front-end options (and this is not the end :p), so it will be easy to try different combinations :cool:

P.S. OS actually utilizes the modular arrangement succsessfully in Slewmaster series for a long time now, but having it snap-on is even more convenient, I think.

Last edited:
..This amplifier has a fast slewrate (approx. 300V/uS), good stability margins / profile (PM = 94 degrees, GM = 25dB @ ULGF 2.7Mhz)...

Hi Paul

Nice to see your post, after you were quiet for a while.
But it looks like you may be out of practice, haven't you plotted the transfer function and not the return ratio?
If so then you can't find the PM, GM, ULGF from that plot.
Unless I've misinterpreted it because it's me that is out of practice.
Been busy in Equipment-tools sub-forum, with the development of a test oscillator.

Best wishes
David

Hi Paul

Nice to see your post, after you were quiet for a while.
But it looks like you may be out of practice, haven't you plotted the transfer function and not the return ratio?
If so then you can't find the PM, GM, ULGF from that plot.
Unless I've misinterpreted it because it's me that is out of practice.
Been busy in Equipment-tools sub-forum, with the development of a test oscillator.

Best wishes
David

Hi David,

Nice to hear from you too. Yes, long time no communication. Have seen you posting, our paths would always cross again. :)

That loop gain plot was generated using the non Tian probe method detailed in Bob Cordell's book. Was being lazy and hadn't transferred your loop gain tools.
Only had, until this weekend gone, the ability to simulate at work so limited time. IT problems for me this time.

I may be out of practice so will have another look at the plot. ;) Actually, I shall transfer your Zan tools.

Paul

Gentlemen,

The one posted by Paul looks very much like a return ratio plot to me (the feedback loop gain and phase AC analysis).
See my return ratio plot for an amplifier with the front-end, designed a bit earlier, based on the same principles (current drive) - attached. Looks pretty much the same. Also built based on the method by Bob Cordell.

Cheers,
Valery

Attachments

• 00_VZ-X4_Sch-AC.JPG
    00_VZ-X4_Sch-AC.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 522
Tian Loop Gain Plot

Hi David and Valery,

Have just simulated the loop gain for the attached schematic (just for reference). Looks very similar.

Paul

Attachments

• Supertis Current Drive VAS1 Shematic.png
    Supertis Current Drive VAS1 Shematic.png
    96 KB · Views: 589
  • Supertis Current Drive VAS1 LG Tian.png
    Supertis Current Drive VAS1 LG Tian.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 565
...the non Tian probe method detailed in Bob Cordell's book.

The one posted by Paul looks very much like a return ratio plot to me...

Just that the label says V(out) so it looks like the V(out) from an AC analysis with a source at the input, as in the ASC thumbnail.
Maybe I am mislead by the label, that's why I asked.

Best wishes
David

OK, looks fine.

Last edited:
Really impressive looking boards. Especially the mother-sister-card approach - OS' Slewmaster interchangeable approach taken one step further. Thanks a lot you guys for everything you contribute to the DIY scene.
*still has a Slew v3 + ND combo to assemble*

Edit: no interface for vzaichenko's protection board?

Really impressive looking boards. Especially the mother-sister-card approach - OS' Slewmaster interchangeable approach taken one step further. Thanks a lot you guys for everything you contribute to the DIY scene.
*still has a Slew v3 + ND combo to assemble*

Edit: no interface for vzaichenko's protection board?

Hi Leucetius, thank you for the warm feedback ;)
In the bottom right corner of the bottom board, just to the right from "Modular NS-OPS", there is a 4-pin plug and tiny marking "Protection".
Same thing on the top board in the top left corner.
Of course, Jeff has placed the interfaces for traching over-current and DC offset, as well as temperature sensors on the boards :cool:

Canada Post is set to strike on Wednesday. If anyone is interested in purchasing a set of the new Modular NS-OPS output boards, VZ-X4 input boards. and the supply boards required to power these, please let me know as soon as possible. It looks like Monday may be my last chance for economical shipping for a while.

I have Vertical CFA and Vertical VFA boards in stock as well, but waiting for testing. I hope to have these tested tomorrow.