Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2018, 04:50 AM   #2461
pinnocchio is offline pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member

Does Q10 and Q13 of Tubsumo IPS require heatsinking?

Thanks
Do
Old 5th February 2018, 10:45 AM   #2462
jwilhelm is offline jwilhelm  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Does Q10 and Q13 of Tubsumo IPS require heatsinking?

Thanks
Do
Yes they do. A small clip on heat sink works fine there.
Old 5th February 2018, 04:01 PM   #2463
diyAudio Member

ok, thanks

Do
Old 9th February 2018, 04:23 AM   #2464
diyAudio Member

My Toroidy transformer is finally on its way home, yesssss!!!!

Can't wait to get this rollin'

Do
Old 9th February 2018, 10:38 AM   #2465
vzaichenko is offline vzaichenko  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Cool Coming closer to powering the whole thing on
Old 10th February 2018, 05:30 PM   #2466
filenet is online now filenet
diyAudio Member

Good work Do...but i recently found that if you don`t have a CNC machine at your disposal your project `stinks`.
Also i found that thick film smd resistors `stink` you should revert to THT. I wander what those bastards that use carbon composition resistors think. Maybe that distortion figures are not so important as long as they are low, but the harmonic profile, this is good engineering.
So i wonder... where is the joy of building an amp?
Old 10th February 2018, 05:56 PM   #2467
diyAudio Member

Hi filenet,

I've been using many different tools to work on aluminum and I can do some very nice work with them without using a CNC. You just need to be very patient. It also require much more work but I'm not in a rush.

All my SMD resistors are Thin Film only which are exactly the same as TH Metal Film. Don't know much about carbon resistors aside knowing that my tube fan friends use them in their tube amplifiers and it usually sound really good. I guess its all about design but also, tube amplifiers usually have more distorsion.

Honestly, I love building amplifiers, I only hate doing all the cabling since I'm a little obsessed with having everything neat and tidy, it takes me so much time that I sometimes hate it...

All the best!
Do
Old 10th February 2018, 06:04 PM   #2468
filenet is online now filenet
diyAudio Member

I am sure that you like building amps, this it can be seen. I am just checking the latest trends
Old 10th February 2018, 06:34 PM   #2469
diyAudio Member

I totally get what you mean though. Many times someone will build something but it will never be what he/she really wanted to achieve, sound-wise and look-wise and at this point it would have been much easier to buy something from the commercial side, that you know what to expect.

My first build over ten years ago (I was buying commercial only before) was made of MDF and sounded good but was really fugly, definitely not WAF, although my wife has a high tolerance, I did not push my luck for too long..

Ciao!
Do
Old 10th February 2018, 06:44 PM   #2470
jwilhelm is offline jwilhelm  Canada
diyAudio Member

Successful builds take as much time planning as it does building. I'm fortunate to have 3D CAD software and a machine shop. It's rough building from scratch without a milling machine!

Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPSHide this!Advertise here!