swapping 2955/3055's for new on semi mjl4281A/mjl4202A ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Might be do-able. The packages are differennt but the pin spacing and pin-outs are the same or nearly so. Note, for example that the ESP P3A pcb can take either. The question of physical space remains. If all else fails a bit of air wiring might make is work.

I have no opinion whether you will actually hear a difference as other factors are involved as well.

thanks for the tips guys. Physical spacing wont be a problem. i was just wondering if there was any electrical difference(for example the gain between the 2955 and its equivilent would be different). I'm planning to use other transistors as the power rating of these isnt as great as others that are easily availble :)

Regards,

Tensop

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi AndrewT,

The original SC480 kit has 2 versions, one uses 2 x TIP3055/2 x TIP2955 and the other 2 x 2N3055/2 x 2MJ2955 for output devices.

Dilby©

Looking at the schematic, I would "guess" substituting higher speed more linear output devices should be OK. I would suggest trying it for one channel and post the results. Its an EF output stage which I believe are less prone to oscillations.

regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.