Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

need some help on my Mark Levinson No23
need some help on my Mark Levinson No23
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2015, 11:02 AM   #1
loveaudio is offline loveaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default need some help on my Mark Levinson No23

any one here work on one of these before ?
i just need to know the resistor next to the x2 rated cap on the front panel board , what it job in the front panel circuit ? mine is just smoked , but i need to find out what cause it to overheat .
attathed is the pictures of the board and resistor in question.
thanks
Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mark no23.jpg (220.6 KB, 163 views)
Old 19th March 2015, 08:32 PM   #2
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

I have one sitting here that I just finished last week. The resistor is a 11kohm/2 Watt carbon comp that appears to just power the front panel LED. That's all I can tell by just looking behind the front panel. I am NOT going to disassemble it again, too much time involved.

Craig
Old 19th March 2015, 08:59 PM   #3
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

11k? that is an odd value. Not a discoloured 12k?
Old 19th March 2015, 09:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It is definitely 11k, brown, brown, orange, gold, looks brand new, big two Watt CC.

Craig
Old 19th March 2015, 09:42 PM   #5
srh is offline srh  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

11k is a standard value in the E24 range and above.
Steve.
Old 19th March 2015, 11:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Guys.
yes the resistor is 11K as Graig have said ( brown-brown-Orange ).
this amp first fired some of the 4700pf x2 rated caps in near by area with this is resistor . i changed those and now this resistor firer , hence my reason to findout what cause and what this resistor function in this board .

also Graig. did you have to adjust the bias on this amp after you done the repair ?
Cheers
Peter
Old 19th March 2015, 11:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

This amp came to me with shipping damage and that's all I repaired. Replaced all 12 of the big PCB mounted electrolytic capacitors (because several broke off), transistor insulators, and thermal compound. I did NOT adjust the idle current because I couldn't find a reliable source on how to do so. I measured THD at 20, 200, 2k, and 20kHz at 2, 20, 200 Watts all were in .00x range or so and it idles only warm so I figured I'd just leave it. Did I mention these are a PITA to work on?

Craig

Last edited by llwhtt; 19th March 2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 19th March 2015, 11:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhtt View Post
This amp came to me with shipping damage and that's all I repaired. Replaced all 12 of the big PCB mounted electrolytic capacitors (because several broke off), transistor insulators, and thermal compound. I did NOT adjust the idle current because I couldn't find a reliable source on how to do so. I measured THD at 20, 200, 2k, and 20kHz at 2, 20, 200 Watts all were in .00x range or so and it idles only warm so I figured I'd just leave it. Did I mention these are a PITA to work on?

Craig
Thanks Graig.
indeed it is very time consuming to work on this amp . too many screws to take off
nice to know you replace the caps . can you kindly let me know where you souse the caps ? i might consider change them on mine too .
i ask about the bias is that I can see after i run mine for around 15 mins one side of the heatshink seem a bit warmer than the other side therefore i think one channel bias might be off a bit ? no ?
cheers
Peter
Old 20th March 2015, 12:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

In order to replace those capacitors the PCB needs to removed from the heat sink. All of the TO-3 transistors are soldered to the double-sided board thru eyelets making them very hard to remove without damaging the board. So unless you have a very strong desoldering station I would leave the caps alone unless the PCB needs to be removed for other reasons.

I used the only caps I could find in the short time I had to do the job. They were Nichicons from Mouser. The 680uf and 330uf 100v caps had to be increased to 200v as that's all I could find. The original caps are long gone.

Craig
Old 31st March 2020, 09:53 PM   #10
tiefbassuebertr is offline tiefbassuebertr  Germany
diyAudio Member

for additional pictures check out this thread:
Mark Levinson No23 repair help
who can upload the schematic ?
  Reply to this post

need some help on my Mark Levinson No23Hide this!Advertise here!