VSSA PMI version vs Peeceebee Shaan version

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Terry, as far as I know you are the DIYAudio member with the largest collection of amplifier builds...:worship:

Try to work with the resistor from values of 750k to 920k depending on your PSU rail.

My bad! resistor values meant to be 750ohms and 820ohms. In my final build I settled for 2 x 1.5k in parallel, that is 1500/2=750. DC offset was 0.6mv.

...and my manner of soldering (inspired by thimios soldering method)..my first proto board..

SAM_0078.JPG

thimios, sorry my friend i'm getting out of topic...

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll probably start with pots so I don't have to solder and unsolder parts too many times. That's hard on home etched boards. That's some very clean soldering. One of these days I will have to learn how to do those measurements like thimios does. That would add to the enjoyment.

Blessings, Terry

Thimios,

I would love know your process for measuring distortion on your various amps. Do you have a piece of equipment that attaches to the output of the amp?

abetir,

I finished the amp based on your layout. I installed 2k pots rather than resistors. I'm running it on +-44V rails and the posts ended up at 470R on one board and 500R on the other with the VAS current set to 14mA when warmed up. I tried a few different rail settings and the VAS current changes with each each rail change so I will leave the pots for flexibility. It would probably be better with 1k pots. I may change those out. This is a nice layout. Easy to etch and build. A 14ma the vas runs pretty hot. I think the little heatsinks are necessary.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• DSC03198.JPG
    DSC03198.JPG
    973.7 KB · Views: 838
  • DSC03199.jpg
    DSC03199.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 740
Very nice Terry, at -+44v I'm glad it worked smoothly I have never tried my amp to reach that power level. :) You may want to do some changes to suit your current (-+44v) psu rail (attached changes in red). It looks to me that VAS works at its optimum. On the other hand if the amp shows no sign of instability then leave it be. You've got excellent heatsinking :up:

All's well that goes well :cheerful:

Attachments

• VSSA_changes.JPG
    VSSA_changes.JPG
    861.8 KB · Views: 755
New test

Shaan original vers. with KSA1381 KSC3503.
2)frec.responce
3)dinamic range
4)indermod.distortion
5)IMD
6)Noise level
7)THD+NOISE

Attachments

• thd.png
    thd.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 111
  • noise.png
    noise.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 88
  • imdswept.png
    imdswept.png
    3 KB · Views: 93
  • imd.png
    imd.png
    6 KB · Views: 101
  • dynamics.png
    dynamics.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 108
  • fr.png
    fr.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Shaan 3503.JPG
    Shaan 3503.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
New test

PMI vers.
All these test on a 6R dummy load.

Attachments

• thd.png
    thd.png
    6 KB · Views: 72
  • noise.png
    noise.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 60
  • imdswept.png
    imdswept.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 64
  • imd.png
    imd.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 71
  • dynamics.png
    dynamics.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 75
  • fr.png
    fr.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 109
  • PMI VERS..JPG
    PMI VERS..JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
What would you like to prove, that resistor is better than CCS? If you use shitty CCS is exactly what you came across here. VSSA module measures far better than resistor only CCS. I made this kind of measurements some two years ago.

I agree.

You should replace Shaan version with CCS and replace PMI version with resistor only CCS. And take some measurement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.