Changing tone characteristics on amp board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If there is a better title to this thread, please let me know. Its very hard to explain,

Question for all the tweakers here.

What parts on an amp board would effect the tone of the amp.

Example, If you found the amp does not have a flat response, whether to your ear or on paper (too bright or too warm)

What part (cap, resistor, trans, diode) would you look at changing to change the tone characteristics of that amp? If any

Last edited:
Without knowledge of the circuit, there is no useful answer to that question.

Ok so it does depend on the circuit.

Please excuse me ,,the noob..

I didnt know if it was at the input.... output, or some general design that every ss amp has.

All the schematics I have read from, my BK amp to my Hafler to my HK avr amp, have the same "general" design and parts on the amp boards, I was just curious to read if there was a particular area on any amp board to look for components that effect the tone of that amp.

Last edited:
"tone" is not a very scientific word and means different things to different people!

Ideally, an amp will have a flat frequency response. Tone CONTROLS deliberately alter this response; e.g. boosting the upper frequencies makes the amplifier sound "bright" or shrill. This is achieved with a combination of caps and resistors to alter the frequency response. GOOGLE low-pass and high pass circuits.

You need to research "subjective" and "objective" audio, but beware, a Pandora's box awaits you!

"tone" is not a very scientific word and means different things to different people!

Ideally, an amp will have a flat frequency response. Tone CONTROLS deliberately alter this response; e.g. boosting the upper frequencies makes the amplifier sound "bright" or shrill. This is achieved with a combination of caps and resistors to alter the frequency response. GOOGLE low-pass and high pass circuits.

You need to research "subjective" and "objective" audio, but beware, a Pandora's box awaits you!

I understand what your saying,

I was just curious, having the same "tone" settings on my HK, onboard HK amp is very bright, compared to the BK and the Hafler has much more midrange than the BK. Without using tone control.

I know power has some very little thing to do with it. But all amps are fed the same signal, and listening volume. Yet have very different sound.

Is it the parts? If so, which of these parts are actually effecting the tone?

Bias, are correct, DC offset all, in "safe" zone. In all amps. Wattage varies little, because of listening level low.

I googled my question. Came up with tube amps and tonal controls, and much guitar amp stuff.

Take these 2 boards, HK and BK

Attachments

• board schem.jpg
    board schem.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 36
  • center.jpg
    center.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 38
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.