How can I substitute a STK00xx darlington power pack with a transistor based circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see... Thanks for your help. Another question, and this will probably make me sound like a complete noob but the 2 diodes, why do they need to be epoxied to the transistors? And another question... Can I get away by making this in free air with pin to pin soldering?

Because the diodes need to have the exact same temperature as the transistor it is connected to. The circuit works kind of like a thermometer, which also tells the transistor to lower its temperature if it gets too hot. If there is no thermal connection between them, your amplifier will blow up.

Wow! Thanks! The datasheet says that MJL21194/TR5=MJL21193 can push a lot of power though.

A pair of MJL21194, MJL21193 costs as much as an STK0040. Can I substitute them with lower power ones?

If you use the Big Ones, we don't have to get into the endless debate over whether the C5200/A1943 have enough SOA to do 8 or 4 ohms with +/-45V rails, or whether you need to gang up four in parallel to be safe at 4 ohms....

Truth is that amp manufacturers will stick in the cheapest Jap TO264 they can find at the time, and it would be ok at 8 ohms and probably at 4 ohms if you don't go blasting it. The big On Semi's would pretty much user-proof it. They are slower and have more beta droop at 15A, but for an amplifier that had STK modules in it originally, who cares?

Because the diodes need to have the exact same temperature as the transistor it is connected to...

Thanks for all the help! Much appreciated!

If you use the Big Ones, we don't have to get into the endless debate over whether the C5200/A1943 have enough SOA to do 8 or 4 ohms with +/-45V rails, or whether you need to gang up four in parallel to be safe at 4

I think that the transformer isn`t big enough to support higher power even if 4 ohm speakers are used.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.