How do I adapt vintage amp for new spades

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any ideas on how I might adapt a friend's vintage 1978 Onkyo receiver that has small screw terminals to accept speaker cables with modern larger spades? I've attached a pic of the same terminals from another receiver. The speaker cables are older Synergistic Research and terminated with larger spades.

My friend says the caps on these smaller threaded terminals don't spin off but I'm sure they do. Could something be crimped on these existing terminals to accept larger spades? Is there an easy fix out there, maybe a breakout box of some sort?

All ideas welcome.

Attachments

• onkyo style.jpeg
    onkyo style.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 94
My friend says the caps on these smaller threaded terminals don't spin off but I'm sure they do. Could something be crimped on these existing terminals to accept larger spades? Is there an easy fix out there, maybe a breakout box of some sort?

In my experience your friend is right, they don't spin off.

What I did on an old amp is completely removed that whole plate (it is held on by screws, some of which are visible in your photo), and cut a new plastic plate to cover the hole and installed modern speaker posts on that plate.

Joined 2011
Any ideas on how I might adapt a friend's vintage 1978 Onkyo receiver that has small screw terminals to accept speaker cables with modern larger spades?
My friend says the caps on these smaller threaded terminals don't spin off but I'm sure they do. Could something be crimped on these existing terminals
to accept larger spades? Is there an easy fix out there, maybe a breakout box of some sort?

Some of these strips will take a binding post directly, if the thread matches. You can remove the original caps with a little force and pliers.
Remove any nuts from the binding post and thread it right on, tightly. This assumes the original spacing is wide enough for the posts and the spade lugs used.
Make sure the threaded rods from the binding posts do not touch any internal circuitry.

Of course, replacing the entire speaker terminal strip is better, but you have to do fabrication and rewiring.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Those thumbscrews would have to be captive or they would have been lost long ago. The end of the thread is flattened IIRC, so when you continue to force the screw, either the plastic knob breaks loose or the thread strips - not smart but if you insist, the flattened part of the stem may be accessible, such that it could be severed with a 6" miniature hacksaw (not cutters) from inside - making sure the filings don't get sprayed everywhere and short the electronics.

I don't know of any adapter which has a 3mm spade one end and accepts a 6.5-8mm spade terminal at the other. It would be a rare requirement outside your situation.

However, it wouldn't take a lot of skill to open out a couple of large diameter 1/8" brass washers so they had a "C" shape, where the slot is the same size as the screw terminals. Slip them over the terminal stem, in-situ. Then slip the spade between them and clamp up. Voila.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.