Rotel RA-1062 with Alpair 7.3/F206en

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello diyaudio.

So i am in the position of getting a Rotel RA-1062 amplifier for free and maybe also a set of Fostex 206en units.
I used to have a set of Alesis active USB monitors, lighting just killed them(i had gotten tired of them anyway..).

Well, i have really started to grow on the idea of building my own speakers(and maybe an amp too), but since i don´t really know any 'audio-guys'(other than all-Linn-enthusiasts)i thought i would ask here.

I am moving in a little month, to a small apartment, where my listening room will be 4x3 metres with carpet-floor. I have heard the Fostex units in some 200L cabinets with a tube amp powering them, and i really like them, but i am in doubt if these units will be to big for my future room?
I have read a bit about the Mark Audio units, and thought the Alpair 7/10 might suit my room more(with Pensil or FH3).

So what do you guys think about these items? Maybe the Rotel amp arent´t good with any of these speakers.. Thinking about building a chipamp of some sort maybe.. hmm.. If money weren´t limiting me a bit, i would just try building an amp and buying new speaker units first, but...

Thanks in advance.

Happy new years!

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The FE206En really prefers an amplifier with higher output impedance than the Rotel. And they really need a goodhorn to get the best performance... Dallas II, Kirishima, or Vulcan would be my recommendation. The last 2 likely overwhelming in a small room.

The Alpairs won't play as loud, but are a better match to the Rotel, and are smoother & more detailed than the Fostex.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.