Pre Build questions: 6 channel Avondale Voyager build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hallo

I am thinking about building a 6 channel DIY Avondale Voyager amplifier. Befor I start I have to clarify some questions ;-)

I read some Voyager threads in the Net. My understanding is that you need some Hardware to build a mono Voyager:
* NCC200 V1.4
* Avondale VBE for the NCC frontend
* Avondale miniCAP for the VBE
* Avondale CAP6 for the NCC
* Softstart module and Speaker protection module. Avondale is offering a SSM, too.
* and of cores two toroidal transformers (30 – 50VA for VBE and 350VA for NCC). Avondale is selling “AST”. Also mentioned was Centerbury Windings
* Did I forget important parts?

If DIY (with pre assembled PCBs) I am looking for a two box solution. One external PSU und 6 way’s in the second box. Did you think this is possible and make sense?
* as like as the Exposure 4DR I have to stack PCB ( NCC over VBE).
* I like the idea to place the VBE toro trans at the side wall of the chassis ( Saving space).
* The toro trans I saw are all quite wide but flat. Are there technical reasons that argue against more height and less width ( Saving space)? Or commercial?
* Which parts can be/ has to built into the PSU?
* If PSU do I need adjustable softstart modul? Are you aware of a good and reliable one?

Regarding the Softstart modules. I am not sure if I understand what they are doing….

If I build just one PSU I will collect approx. 2000VA spread over several toroidal transformers in one box.
The plan is to connect the PSU via one main to the electricity grid? Did you think this is possible and make sense?

Afaik the Avondale SSM are approved up to 1000VA. Is it possible to operate multiple transformers ( e.g.: 2x350VA + 2x 50VA) with one SSM?
All SSM will have the same delay time. So at the end of the day 2000VA are turned on at the same time. Is that not a problem? That’s the reason I asked for a SSM with adjustable delay time….

I hope this is enough for now.
I am asking for your support and kowledge ;-)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.