Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Power12: A compact 6W/channel power amplifier
Power12: A compact 6W/channel power amplifier Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2014, 10:42 PM   #1
nathanpc is offline nathanpc  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default Power12: A compact 6W/channel power amplifier

Recently I decided to design another power amplifier after the last one was destroyed in a accident with super glue (I was going to make a post about the Mini6, but then the accident happened and I decided to hold the post until I had the Power12). The design is pretty simple and straight forward:

Click the image to open in full size.

I've documented everything (building, THD simulation, temperature profile, etc.) about the project in this blog post.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by nathanpc; 12th October 2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12th October 2014, 11:58 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.

Hi,

The gain looks rather low.

Distortion In Power Amplifiers
Covers nearly all off the basics.

Just reduce rail voltages.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 13th October 2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 13th October 2014, 12:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I forgot to update the schematic image. R105 should be 560 ohms. Also thanks very much for the link.
Old 13th October 2014, 05:30 AM   #4
Ranchu32 is offline Ranchu32  Australia
diyAudio Member

I like this circuit a lot and have a few suggestions:

- Add a capacitor in series with R105 to ensure unity gain at DC. With R105 at 560R, I would use a 220uF (or bigger) to minimise low frequency distortion.

- Add a small base stopper to Q101 ahead of R101. A value of 47R or 100R would be ideal.

- If you haven't already implemented RF filtering upstream of this amplifier then you should. A 100p to 1n np0 ceramic in parallel with R101 will be effective.

- Add small degeneration resistors (say 22R) to the LTP emitters. This will improve linearity of the output stage. You can also add some degeneration resistors to the current mirror. Without knowling the rail voltages and how much voltage you are prepared to loose it is difficult to make a recommendation. 68R is a useful amount; more is better if you have the headroom.

- Since you already have an active current source for the VAS, you could turn the simple resistor tail current source into an active CCS with the addition of one small signal PNP and one resistor. However some people prefer the sound of the simple tail resistor...

- You should place bias diodes, D105 and D106 near the output drivers for better thermal tracking. Also, you can adjust the standing current by changing the values of your output collector resistors, R117 and R118. Higher resistance will reduce standing current and vice versa.

- You might consider more robust TO-220 packaged output devices like the MJE150xx series. This will give you more power headroom.
Old 13th October 2014, 01:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much for the great suggestions Ranchu. In the blog post I've talked about how I'm already going to extend the active CCS to the differential pair, so that's already taken care of for Rev B.

I was looking into adding the capacitor to the feedback path. Thanks very much for suggesting a value.

I'll implement your RF filtering suggestion on the input since I discovered my laptop (which I rarely connect to the amp) spews a lot of HF noise on the headphone output.

I was also looking into degeneration resistors on the LTP, so that'll definitely will be implemented on Rev B. Thanks for suggesting some values too (by the way, my power rails are +/-12V). Would you care to explain how you came up with those resistor values or are they just a standard that everyone uses? I want to know this is case I may increase the power rails or change the transistors in a future project.

I thought about using TO-220 transistors for the output transistors, but currently I only have TIP31/TIP32 in stock (I've noticed they are rarely used in audio circuits, is there a reason for that?) and when simulating the circuit they were giving me quite a lot of oscillation. I've ran a quick simulation using MJE15034/MJE15035 and they gave me no oscillation at all so I'll definitely use them on Rev B.

Again, thanks very much for the suggestions.
Old 13th October 2014, 01:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I assumed ~12V rails with the stated power output. With such low rails the key will be to minimise Vdrop to ensure maximum output swing.

You have about 1mA through the LTP with that 12k tail resistor; a little low to meet the "blameless" standard. I feel 10-22R LTP degen is about the most you would want to use this point. Once you adopt an active CCS for the input, you could crank the current up to about 4-10mA and increase the degen resistors to 100R. The trade-offs here are slew rate, global NFB, local feedback (linearity) and Johnson noise. In my experience a little degeneration goes a long way.

Personally I would leave out the current mirror degen resistors on this design to maximise drive voltage. Others will disagree I'm sure.

Another point: with such low Vrails you should use low noise, high gain, low Vceo transistors for all small signal positions, particularly the LTP and current mirror. The BC550C/560C would be a perfect choice if available. Note the pinout is the reverse of the 2n3906 you are using so you'd need to insert them backwards if your PCB's are already laid out and manufactured.
Old 13th October 2014, 03:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I was playing with all your suggestions in LTspice and the results are incredible. The THD at 1kHz went from 0.016231% to 0.002112%, and at 20kHz it went from 0.133767% to 0.056775%.

The degeneration resistors in the current mirror didn't affect the voltage swing in a considerable way, so I'll leave them in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the capacitor in the feedback path will have to be a bi-polar electrolytic since the voltages there will go below 0V.

Old 13th October 2014, 03:41 PM   #8
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu32 View Post
The BC550C/560C would be a perfect choice if available. Note the pinout is the reverse of the 2n3906 you are using so you'd need to insert them backwards if your PCB's are already laid out and manufactured.
Depends whose you buy. I've got genuine BC's that are both EBC and CBE. I just stick them on my Hfe tester to determine which way. It's really good one way and sucky the other. If you're using them for diff pairs you're probably matching them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanpc View Post
I thought about using TO-220 transistors for the output transistors, but currently I only have TIP31/TIP32 in stock (I've noticed they are rarely used in audio circuits, is there a reason for that?) and when simulating the circuit they were giving me quite a lot of oscillation. I've ran a quick simulation using MJE15034/MJE15035 and they gave me no oscillation at all so I'll definitely use them on Rev B.
Doubtful the TIPs would give any problems in a real circuit. I'd suspect the fidelity of the models. They are rarely used in audio circuits these days because of the low VCEO and beta droop when used as outputs, and low fT as drivers. 30 years ago they used them all the time. I'd use them in things like this so I could save the 'good' ones for circuits where the TIPs won't to.
Old 13th October 2014, 09:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear that you like it Nathan

Now that you have an active CCS with ~3mA running through the LTP, you could increase the degen resistors as high as 100R.

Suggest you place R13 before R2.

It is standard practice to use a polarised feedback shunt cap. Larger capacitors reduce low frequency distortion however large bi-polar caps are physically very large. I suggest a polarized capacitor, about 220uF / 16V.

Good to know about BC's, wg_ski. I have a few bags full of genuine Onsemi BC5x0C parts sourced from Mouser and they are all CBE pinout. I checked the Onsemi datasheet for the 2N3906 and it indicates the reverse. Seems to me that we have to be careful when sourcing the same part from different manufacturers since otherwise equivalent parts could have a different pinout.

I can't see why the TIP3x wouldn't work well either. I've used these parts as drivers as drivers in more powerful amps and they work well enough.
Old 13th October 2014, 09:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

What is the stability of the output stage like? The P3A I have played with includes a 100p np0 ceramic across the B-C junctions of the lower driver transistor, while your circuit has none. See here: http://sound.westhost.com/project3a.htm

I have tried removing this cap and experienced stability issues. Even if it is stable now, it might be worth adding pads on your next board rev. in case different combinations of parts produce different results.

Great little circuit you've got here I love it

Can we see your board layout?

Power12: A compact 6W/channel power amplifierHide this!Advertise here!