EZ-Dump: dump your current without really trying

Elvee, a few practical questions:
1) for all small npn/pnp: ksa1845/992 ?
They are overkill, but they should work OK.

2) for drivers: ksa3503/1381 ?
They are a bit undersized, especially regarding the 100mA current rating.
500mA devices would be preferable; in fact, the ksa1845/992 would be OK, except their dissipation is not really sufficient since they cannot be mounted on a heatsink.
3) for output: MJL21194/21193 ?
Perfectly OK
4) is L1 an air coil? 1mm wire ?
Yes, that would be ideal, but you will probably have to wind it yourself.
For the tests, you can use a commercial ferrite-cored inductor rated for 10A, but it will introduce a few tens of ppm distortion.

5) R24 2W ?
1W is ample enough
6) Any other resistors need to be bigger than 0.25W ?
R3 to 6 should be 1W, R28 & 29 0.5W.
7) is 4Ohm load OK?
With the MJL21194/21193, no problem
Any other practical considerations?
The opamps could be any reasonable FET types: even a TLO71 or similar should work.

The input should have the standard DC blocking cap + the HF filter, like the circlophone, or any normal amp.

PS: remember that this is pure simulation and has never been tested in reality, so prepare yourself for any eventuality

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Probably, but something less extreme would be preferable: 2SD669/2SB649 for example have sufficient ratings, a higher Ft and lower capacitances.
They are not made for 20 years, as far as I can tell.
NTE373/374 seem to be perfect match, and available from newark.com
Same low Cob=14pF

Looks like even MJE340/350 would work here, and I have full drawer of them, but their Cob
is double of 2SD669....

NTE373/374 seem to be perfect match, and available from newark.com
Same low Cob=14pF
Yes they are

Looks like even MJE340/350 would work here, and I have full drawer of them, but their Cob
is double of 2SD669....
Good ol' MJE's should also work quite well, their rating are OK, and Ft=90MHz

Try KSC2690/KSA1220 maybe, or TTC/TTA004 from Toshiba.

Sajti
All are excellent suggestions too

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Try KSC2690/KSA1220 maybe, or TTC/TTA004 from Toshiba.
Sajti
Yeah, I've been using TTC004B (and still have a lot of them) - they work very well for the Circlophone, but I don't have TTAs, and they constantly on back-order.
So I guess I'll try here NTE373/374 or MJEs.

According to my calculations: L1 should be
22 turns of wire 1mm (18 AWG) on 14mm AA battery

Last edited:
I couldn't locate a "clean" version of the schematic to edit, but here is the section of interest:

Attachments

• EZf.png
    EZf.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 354
Happy New Year!
Thanks!

For R25 - you mentioned that it can be used to adjust quiescent current.
So I guess I should use R25 (say 470 Ohm) + 1k trimmer?
Yes, for a first build that would be reasonable.
Hopefully, later versions could dispense with the adjustment, since it is one of the main design goals of current dumping amplifiers

Also - do you expect driver transistors to run hotter/cooler than Circlophone drivers?
Not sure how big heatsinks they will require..
Given the value of R1 and R2, they will run at the same temp as for a Circlophone (for comparable supply voltages)

Nice and compact indeed.

I should have mentioned it earlier, but it would be preferable to have Q7 & Q8 in the thermal vicinity of the drivers, or OP, or both: a current dumping amplifier doesn't need a true thermal compensation like traditional AB amps, but if the temperatures drift really very far apart, it could begin to cause problems.
No need for a tight thermal coupling, but some proximity would be beneficial.

I realize that it would not be easy, and it is not a high priority, but if doable, it would be worthwhile.

Something else I forgot to mention: in its present form, the amplifier is completely DC-coupled. Some see it as an advantage, but in general people prefer AC coupling, because it keeps the output offset well under 10mV.
To make it AC-coupled, all that is needed is a 47µF or 100µF cap in series with R18; polarity is indifferent a it will never see more than a few mV, and the voltage can be as low as 2.5V.
Should be easy to implement if required