Multichannel amplifier internal ground loop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ideally the inputs should use screened cable, you may possibly get away with them being tightly twisted. All speaker pairs and power cables should be tightly twisted.

This solved the 90% of the problem. Thank you very much scottjoplin. Now my setup is acceptable. It is almost silent when there is a signal. But when there is no input signal it still hums, I can live with it for now as it's not ruining the experience. Any suggestions?

When you say with no input signal, do you mean with inputs shorted, have you tried that?

No. Inputs are not shorted. I asked this question in other thread also, let me put it here. As I understand, shorting the input is for testing purposes only. When playing the music it should not be shorted (quite obvious isn't it :) )

It would be great if you can explain more on shorting the input. When to do it, etc.

Shorting the input (socket) is purely a test. If you had a volume control potentiometer on the input this would do the same thing if it was turned right down. When it comes to noise pickup it will tell you whether it is inside the amplifier or being caused by it being connected to external equipment. When it comes to hum caused by ground loops, it can be a combination of things and it can be very complicated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.