Multichannel amplifier internal ground loop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Read section 5.8 again. While Fig.7 Unbalanced Devices is rather primitive compared to the other drawings, but still you can puzzle a lot out from the balanced circuit figures.

One thing I would do differently is connect the Safety Ground/Protective Earth to the chassis near the power cord connector, using it's own mounting post.

While the Main Audio Ground should connect to the chassis near the I/O jacks.

Hello Speedskater

Well you inspire me something when mentionning Earth point connection.
Look at my ground schematic on my Post#6.
The earth point coming from main power connector splits in two cables and each ones go to individual MainPSU's where they have contact for coupling with Audio-ground.
From there the earth points on each MainPSU split on two individual wires to connect together on a chassis point for final chassis grounding.
The question : Could there be a problem by connecting to Audio-Gnd before chassis?

Luke

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Hello Bonsai

You said:"If you amplifier is quiet, with out anything plugged in, it's likely the loop problem is due to the ground currents flowing from the attached input sources. "

Ground currents flowing through from the attached input sources...I never I had problem from a source that flows current to inputs but from a "Y splitter to 6" adapter that connect ALL inputs together. There is no current there, I guess.

Four of five days ago I applied your idea as in my Post#8 :"I just connected all shields in series with 16 ohms resistors on all individual Gnd inputs...the problem remainded."

Luke

You have some other problem then.

Is your amplifier quiet without anything plugged in on the inputs?

You have some other problem then.

Is your amplifier quiet without anything plugged in on the inputs?

Hello Bonsai

Each channel are perfectly quiet when nothing is plugged in.
I would suggest you reading my posts#5 & 8 to have a good state of my problem.
As soon as I connect channels together in parallel noise arrises gradually as I connect more channels together.
Anyway read these and you'll have a basic picture.

Luke

Read section 5.8 again. While Fig.7 Unbalanced Devices is rather primitive compared to the other drawings, but still you can puzzle a lot out from the balanced circuit figures.

One thing I would do differently is connect the Safety Ground/Protective Earth to the chassis near the power cord connector, using it's own mounting post.

While the Main Audio Ground should connect to the chassis near the I/O jacks.

Speedskater

I forgot to say I'll read your section 5.8 tomorrow.
I jsu have to split now.
Thanks.

Luke

If things got burnt, your assy has got some issue.

Good way of connecting the input ground is to short all the grounds near the connector.

In my amp, that has different PSUs, I have used only one star ground, at the main psu(of high current). Grounds from other PSUs is connected to this star and every load gets connected to this star. I have absolutely no problem, but my amp is stereo.

Gajanan Phadte

Originally Posted by Luke123
I just tried it...exactly like your drawing.
Guess what? Smoke got of Main PSU's.
The two resistors from the Gnd/Earth coupling circuit near switch just blew.
I'll have to change them and be ready for another try!

Originally Posted by Sesebe
This only means that or you drawing it is not correct/complete or you made a different connections not like in my drawing.
Anyway what is your power source diagram? And what are the connection of the power transformer?

Originally Posted by Luke123
My Gnd/Earth plan is correct and your suggestion has been perfectly implemented but I admit that the switch was not at the position you suggested, that means complete coupling from Earth to Gnd.
Instead it was at the "resistor parrallel to cap position" as shown on my drawing.

Then explain why the smoke come out. You have connected only points that should be at the same potential (at least reading your drawing).

If it were my amp, my next move would be to understand why the smoke came out when anything bad should not have to happen.

Some people want to learn from mistakes but not everybody can...so...

When you have an answer to this question, you will probably find the solution to your problem.

Sesebe

Can you post some photos showing the crucials and of the input connectors.

Gajanan Phadte

Hello Gajanan

Here is the photo below.
By the way, my very first amp. With some experience, the other will be much improved.
From the Neutrik 6 pins connector one can see the three Canare L-2B2AT two conductors wires going to each of the three circuits from one of the two channels.
One of conductor is hot and the other conductor+shield is on Gnd.
Anything else wanted?...Just ask!
Thanks!

Luke

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Then explain why the smoke come out. You have connected only points that should be at the same potential (at least reading your drawing).

If it were my amp, my next move would be to understand why the smoke came out when anything bad should not have to happen.

Some people want to learn from mistakes but not everybody can...so...

When you have an answer to this question, you will probably find the solution to your problem.

Sesebe

Yes you may be right.
I'll have to figure out why smoke happened.
But two PCB from same two coils of XFO, two other coils from same XFO for one separate RegPSU board...three Star points coupled together, each referenced by floating sources...
0.000Vdc and very very low Vac between any each of them.
I bet I will learn something today!
OK now where do I start!

Luke

Last edited:
Nice build by the way!

Hello Bonsai

Thanks for the kind words, even thought I find it a bit messy, especially when it's time to service it! :D
When I first started this project nine months ago I definitely underestimated the space needed to house everything as project showed nice possibilities and...problems to be solved.
I thought one MainPSU board was enough but I had to install a pair to fit everything, one for each channel which explains why there are two MainPSU boards.
I decided to have a higher Vdc for input section so ..here goes another PCB for RegPSU. with Vdc+/Vdc- Regs for each channel.:(
To make possible this new board I had to "roll" a new pair of coils on the transformer.
To have a lower magnetisation on core on XFO I had to roll again...so two new small coils to add on the primaries.
During planning of the Amplifier's BOM parts needed I had to work hard to figure out the complete information mess that came with these kit PCBs that I ordered.
I also had to modify these Amp's boards to suit new design and go around some limitations, reconfigure thermal management because different bias levels.
I haven't figured out "thumps" during power-ons so here goes another board for Relays section.:eek:
Above all this, "your slave" MUST finish what he statred because he spent mucho amount of hours!

Anyway...thanks everybody for helping me, so please keep supporting me!
Right now I'm reading 5.8 section of Speedskater's AES Paper.
Suicide is not an option right now! :D

Luke

Hello

An observation to show.
First I built a cable adapter which uses a pair of the matching Neutrik male connectors to fit into the actual amp.
On each connector pins 1,3 & 5 which are negatives or Gnd contacts are all connected together.
And the two connectors are connected together by these common connections.
That means six grounds brought together but the six signal pins unaltered.
Photos under : the back of the amp and the connector/adapter.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Observations...
Second, I have to point out that all channels outputs are connected to six 8 ohms load resistors, one for each channel.
To evaluate noise, I just use my ears : so one tweeter is paralleled with resistor on one channel and one tweeter+one woofer on the other, each one paralleled on two resitors.
By the way the tweeter is stuck to my ear and I have to shut-off my computer and other stuff to have complete silence for perfect assessment.

Let's go!
1) If I connect one of the 6Pins/adapter on only one channel, no noise added at all.
2) If I connect the other channel only, the same way, no noise added at all, again.
3) If I connect both connectors/adapters in both channel, a very very very small buzz added, barely perceptible with tweeter stuck to the ear and like this, it would be definitely acceptable for me and I would almost say...for a lllllot of people!
This is the situation for grounds right now.

Now, let's put the signal pins in the picture...by shorting all pins together on each of the two connector/adpaters.
1) If I connect only one connectors/adapter to one channel, now noise can be heard from 4 inches...unacceptable.
2) Same thing for the other channel.
3) If i connect the two connectors/adapters to the two channels, noise increases by a good 10 dB! Bad. Very bad!

So?

Luke

Last edited:
late to the thread - but how can any help without more info?

did I miss the amp module names, schematics?

is there a relay board - input or output switching?

are the 3 PS toroid xfmrs?

where's your wiring diagram?

sorry if I missed these - but everyone is shooting in the dark without more internal photos showing ps parts mounting wire routing....

"big hammer" solutions may exist either in heavy gnd bus/bars or electronic signal side isolation or balanced transmitter/receivers to break common gnd noise coupling and/or loops

did I miss the amp module names, schematics?

is there a relay board - input or output switching?

are the 3 PS toroid xfmrs?

where's your wiring diagram?

sorry if I missed these - but everyone is shooting in the dark without more internal photos showing ps parts mounting wire routing....

"big hammer" solutions may exist either in heavy gnd bus/bars or electronic signal side isolation or balanced transmitter/receivers to break common gnd noise coupling and/or loops

Hello JCX

To anser your three questions...

1) Circuit is Avondale NCC200, slightly modified to suit my needs.
Here is the SCH.

2) There is a relay circuit for speaker on/off delayed switching and it's fed by one of the 29.5Vac coil for MainPSU. Circuit produces Vdc to activate 24Vdc coils that gets grounded by transistor switching according to a delay controlled by a time constant. Simple circuit. It's totally floating because it drives the relay coils only. Ground only exists for grounding relay's coils.

3)One toroid, 2 coils 59Vac/15 amps and 2 other coils 79Vac/0.25amp.

Luke

but burning resistors when connecting all the "gnds" isn't pretty

definitely check for xmfr winding shorts - simple leakage currents shouldn't be above mA

internal to the PS boards there can be issues - the "proper" gnd takeoff point is after windings and bridge currents are summed - the "point" between the +,- reservoir caps gnd pins - its not the CT/join of the windings

the amp output Zobel can't be expected to work well through off board wiring - should be to local, high frequency bypassed amp pcb gnd - which may not exist - looks like the output stage is just waving in the wind at the end of whatever PS wiring - not good

some hype is expected - but to claim that's a carefully tweaked layout?

Last edited:
Build is very nice.

I will suggest the following...

1) Get rid of (disconnect) one of the PSUs and power all the load through this. Do not exceed the power rating.
2) Build a single star point as suggested by me earlier

and connect speaker gnd to this star point directly.

Gajanan Phadte

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.