Low noise regulators for 2014?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, my previous thread was a success, so, for tonight, I'll ask the gurus of this forum.

What voltage regulator would you use with the opamps discussed before?

I've been looking at the stuff Linear has to offer and I found a little nice regulator called LT3032. 150mA output, dual supplies in a single plackage. The only downside to it is that it comes in one of those modern TINY packages (DFN).

What's your regulator of choice? Me, I go with classic LM317 (and 337!) for most things. But this time i thought, what the heck, let's see what modern silicon has to offer.

Today you can get parts with much higher ripple rejection, higher bandwidth, lower dropout voltage, low noise without external parts / at less space consumed, stability even with low-ESR ceramics on the output, and whatnot.

It's just that you don't need all of this in typical audio circuits with opamps, which tend to have more than decent PSRR, fairly high voltages (2.5 V of dropout isn't so bad if you need 12 V, but 3.3 V is a different story!) and plenty of space available. You can slap in a plain ol' LM3x7 pair with cap (or zener) on Cadj and a decently-sized 'lytic on the output, give it a good layout and call it a day. Many circuits even get along with 78xx/79xx pairs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.