Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Sansui Diamond Differential PA Simulation and possible build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2014, 08:51 PM   #1
rsavas is online now rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Sansui Diamond Differential PA Simulation and possible build

Hi everyone,

I realize that there have been a few threads discussing this subject. Some have drifted off the basic design to add their changes. Not sure if any of them lead to a build.
I decided to at least sim the original circuit and investigate before going any further towards a build.
This thread is to discuss the merits of this design and possible improvements, if there are any to be made.
Some may want to object to the topology in the first place, so pls do not de-rail this thread, go off and do your own design and start your own design thread.
I know that a few have reported that the design has been known to oscillate and have offered a few fixes. So I would like to investigate why the design oscillated, as originally designed and also look at fixes.
See the attached the design, as used in the AU-X1 model open for discussion. The design is also used in the BA-F1,AU-919 models as well. Some minor differences, but the same basic design. I did not have the exact spice device models as used in the original designs, so I substituted what is currently readily available from our favorite suppliers like Mouser and Digi-Key.
Put the models in the standard install directory
C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceIV\lib\cmp
and change the names to standard.jft & standard.bjt

Cheers
Rick
Attached Files
File Type: asc Sansui AU-X1 PA_V1.0.asc (24.3 KB, 211 views)
File Type: txt standard_jft.txt (38.8 KB, 123 views)
File Type: txt standard_bjt.txt (56.8 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by rsavas; 2nd April 2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: I will add the models as well!!
Old 3rd April 2014, 07:45 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks. Thats somehing to play with later
Old 27th September 2014, 09:10 PM   #3
borys is offline borys  Ireland
diyAudio Member

rsavas
I have build a much simpler version. The amp is sounding very nice. I think there is really worth of spending more time for some tests and improvements. I have done few version of the amp. The thd measurements are very good, sound is very neutral. Two front stages can provide a massive gain so the prototype must be well tested to eliminate stability issues.
Please keep us updated if You are decide to build it.
Bellow one of my prototypes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bg5 v4.jpg (113.3 KB, 338 views)
File Type: png 150ma bias 2.png (22.6 KB, 324 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BG5 v3 schematic.pdf (15.3 KB, 170 views)
Old 28th September 2014, 02:40 AM   #4
rsavas is online now rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi borys,

Thanks for sharing, well done, thx for sharing.
  Reply to this post

Sansui Diamond Differential PA Simulation and possible buildHide this!Advertise here!