Sansui Diamond Differential PA Simulation and possible build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I realize that there have been a few threads discussing this subject. Some have drifted off the basic design to add their changes. Not sure if any of them lead to a build.
I decided to at least sim the original circuit and investigate before going any further towards a build.
This thread is to discuss the merits of this design and possible improvements, if there are any to be made.
Some may want to object to the topology in the first place, so pls do not de-rail this thread, go off and do your own design and start your own design thread.
I know that a few have reported that the design has been known to oscillate and have offered a few fixes. So I would like to investigate why the design oscillated, as originally designed and also look at fixes.
See the attached the design, as used in the AU-X1 model open for discussion. The design is also used in the BA-F1,AU-919 models as well. Some minor differences, but the same basic design. I did not have the exact spice device models as used in the original designs, so I substituted what is currently readily available from our favorite suppliers like Mouser and Digi-Key.
Put the models in the standard install directory
C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceIV\lib\cmp
and change the names to standard.jft & standard.bjt

Cheers
Rick

Attachments

• Sansui AU-X1 PA_V1.0.asc
    24.3 KB · Views: 277
  • standard_jft.txt
    38.8 KB · Views: 186
  • standard_bjt.txt
    56.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
rsavas
I have build a much simpler version. The amp is sounding very nice. I think there is really worth of spending more time for some tests and improvements. I have done few version of the amp. The thd measurements are very good, sound is very neutral. Two front stages can provide a massive gain so the prototype must be well tested to eliminate stability issues.
Please keep us updated if You are decide to build it.
Bellow one of my prototypes.

Attachments

• BG5 v3 schematic.pdf
    15.3 KB · Views: 300
  • bg5 v4.jpg
    bg5 v4.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 417
  • 150ma bias 2.png
    150ma bias 2.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 407
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.