Cyrus Two & PSX/R

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cyrus Two & PSX/R

Hi All, I'm using my old Cyrus Two amp in my current setup with Linn Katan speakers. I'm keen to get a PSX external PSU for the amp, but these seem hard to come by. I understand the modern Cyrus PSX-R is not compatible with the 'Two' amp. Can anyone comment? Is there a way to drive the Two amp with a PSX-R, or can someone sell me a PSX?!! Thanks, IanC, Surrey UK.

Ian,

as long this is a DIY site I will comment in that direction.

I cannot say anything of the new PSX but the old PSX consisted mainly of a bigger transformer, a rectifying bridge and two bigger smoothing caps. So why not make your own?
But beware of ground loops! In the old PSX the "hard" ground was separated from the "soft" ground (signal ground) by a 10 Ohm resistor. But this a faint memory from repairing this resistor several times a long time ago.

But why bothering about a PSX anyway? It will make your amp stronger and louder but I very much doubt the it will actually sound better with your Katans. I used these amps a lot in the eighties, a PSX was mostly nice with very difficult speakers and in case you use the phono input because of a better supply separation.

Klaus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.