LJM L10-1 class a biasing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I just received a couple of LJM L10 (9418) amp boards with On-Semi NJW0281G/NJW0302G & c5171/a1930.

The plan is biasing them into class a, but I have no schematic or manual what so ever. Just the boards, that came assembled. Must have ordered wrong since I wantet the kit.

I have some old matched (i think) Toshiba 5200/1943 lying around. Would I benefit from swapping the on-semi´s with the Toshibas?
Or should I save them for a different project? I have 8 pairs of them, and I want to build a ~100w class A amp when I get some more experience.

The toroid im planning to use, is a 1000VA 4x32v + 4x44v. I know its a bot high for pure class A operation, so it probably need to transition out of class a at 50-60w?

any help would be greatly appreciated, especially schematic and biasing guide.

1000VA devided by 8 sec? so. how is it devided?
you need about 2A bias to hit your 50-60W class A.
with 2*32V sec(+/-41VDC) that is 160+W dissipation pr ch. so 320VA pr ch is minimum.
with 2*44V sec(+/-57VDC) that is 230W dissipation pr ch. so 460VA pr ch is minimum.
with this facts, i realy doubt your transformer is big enough.

1000VA devided by 8 sec? so. how is it devided?
you need about 2A bias to hit your 50-60W class A.
with 2*32V sec(+/-41VDC) that is 160+W dissipation pr ch. so 320VA pr ch is minimum.
with 2*44V sec(+/-57VDC) that is 230W dissipation pr ch. so 460VA pr ch is minimum.
with this facts, i realy doubt your transformer is big enough.

The 44v windings are just for input stage etc, so in this application they are no good.

I think the 32v windings are 7-7,5A each, so it should do the trick.

Thats 2A bias.. per device, right?

Any limitations in the C5171/A1930 i need to worry about? I not really sure how to calculate the load on these...

then its 73mV drop.
0.333*0.22

EDIT: i read 0.73V not mV:) 0.73mV would have been impossible to measure correctly with a standar multimeter.

EDIT 2: heng on. 333mA pr device? is it 6 output pairs? i thought it was 3 pairs. if so, its 2/3=0.666mA pr device. and 146mV voltage drop.

Last edited:
then its 73mV drop.
0.333*0.22

EDIT: i read 0.73V not mV:) 0.73mV would have been impossible to measure correctly with a standar multimeter.

EDIT 2: heng on. 333mA pr device? is it 6 output pairs? i thought it was 3 pairs. if so, its 2/3=0.666mA pr device. and 146mV voltage drop.

I meant 73mW .. just a typo.

Its 3 pairs, but I assumed I had to divide it by all the transistors, and not pairs.

its devided by the pairs.
then it's 666mA pr device. a voltage drop of 146mV.
and to actualy do this, you will need some big heatsinks. 0.15C/W pr ch or better.

I see .. thanks :)

I have a couple of heat sinks from an Alto Mac 2400 lying around. With a 16db papst fan, it should be more than enough.
I wont spend too much money on this project, so im using what ever components I have lying around.

Im trying to save some money so I can build a nice powerfull F5T later. Or maybe a Krell clone.

What do you think about PSU? I have 8 12.000uF Elna for audio.. 4 per channel.

If its divided by pairs.. how does it figure in with the transistor ratings per the datasheet?

How come the IQ is divided per pair... I mean, there are two transistors? Does the two share the load, or .. ?

This is something I need to read up on .. any suggestions as to where I can find any litterature?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.