oscillation in passive buffered preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have had some hum problems which I thought were caused by bad grounding or lack of sheilding, which was more than likey considering my current "prototype-test" setup :D.

I've discovered to my surprise that it is my preamp which isn't too happy driving my active XO :bawling: (read: it oscillates big time :hot:)

My preamp is a pot infront of 3 stacked buf634.

Adding a series resistor to the output of the preamp fixed the problem. Currently I'm using a 800 ohm resistor (lowest value I had around) which I would think is way too high (unqulified guess).

What resistor value is normal to use for this???

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: It going to take more than that.......

Fred Dieckmann said:
"3 stacked buf634."

I have a feeling that's the problem right there. Think about it...........

Fred, yes. I was assuming there would be isolation resistors in each output to the common output, as would be customary, but as you realised, if they are not there, that's the first line of attack.

Jan Didden

J P,

why stacking ? isn't 250mA enough ?

OK, what did you do with pin#1, aka the BandWith pin, ?
Leave it unconnected for less BW, but still more than enough for audio.

The application notes suggest an input R of 25 to 200 ohm.
I for myself had good experience with small input resistors at high speed buffers to eliminate oscillations.

Also the output R is advised between 10 to 150 ohms, but for each unit like Jan says, if still staggering.

Hope this helps

Dick.

>OK, what did you do with pin#1, aka the BandWith pin, ?
>Leave it unconnected for less BW, but still more than enough for audio.

A 100 ohm resistor to the - rail. People claim it sound better this way. I only know it gets a bit warm :D

Regarding the stacking:
In the "Combining an amplifier with the buf634" application note they stack 3 buf634 with no seperate input or output resistors only one common ouput resistor (50 ohm).

I read somewhere that the buf634 has an output impedance of 10 ohm, so I though the an isolation resistor wasn't needed.

When I open my eyes and read the buf634 datasheet, it says: "Best response is usually achieved with a series input resistor of 25 to 200 ohm, depdending of the signal source. Response with some loads (especially capacitive) can be improved with a resistor of 10 to 150 ohm in series with the output".

A pot infront of the buf won't that act like a series resistor?

Probably not oscillating

If you have used the stacked BUF634 in high bandwidth mode they are going to throw out a lot of heat even when not driven. Three stacked ones in high bandwidth mode will run 45 mA undriven. See p. 5 of the info sheet.

There's no functional need to run in full bandwidth mode. A 300 ohm resistor for each BUF634 will give you 3 x 7mA and still good bandwidth. Norman

What's wrong with this picture....

"Passive Buffered"? How the hell did you determine that? It is either one or the other.

Stacked buffers?.....physically?......yep....Phred has it right.

If you can't drive your application with only one of these, you are in for problems.

Jocko

>"Passive Buffered"? How the hell did you determine that? It is either one or the other.

I didn't come up with that name. It is a copy of http://www.stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/54/

I skiped one buf634, so I could fit input and putput resistors to the 2 that was left.

The guys at headwize stacks buffers, ok they drive headphones and not amps, but I thought why not try when I have them around anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.